Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/12/01 11:56:34 UTC

[Numbers][Geometry] Where to define "quaternion" (Was: Making Quaternion a VALJO)

Hello.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 06:05:31 +0000, Matt Juntunen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> FYI, I've been working on a quaternion-related class named
> QuaternionRotation for commons-geometry (see link below). It includes
> slerp as well as several other geometry-oriented methods, such as
> conversion to/from axis-angle representations and creation from basis
> rotations. It's not quite ready for a merge yet since I still need to
> finish the Euler angle conversions.
>
> I did not use the Quaternion class from commons-numbers since I
> wanted to focus solely on using quaternions to represent 3D
> rotations.
> I felt like the commons-numbers class was too general for this.

We need to explore further how to avoid duplication.

Some questions:
  * Should "QuaternionRotation" inherit from "Quaternion"?
  * Should "Quaternion" be defined in [Geometry] (and removed from
    [Numbers])?
  * Are some utilities defined in "QuaternionRotation" general
    such that they could be part of the [Numbers] "Quaternion" API.
    An example might be the transformation between quaternion and
    matrix (represented as a double[3][3])?

The second consideration could apply to any computation that does
not require types defined in [Geometry].  For example, interpolation
is a purely quaternion-internal operation.

It looks to me that it should be possible to come up with a design
that defines "rotation" in [Geometry] which uses a "quaternion"
defined in [Numbers].
Otherwise, one would wonder why "Complex" is also not in [Geometry]
(for 2D rotations).

Best regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Inheritance and ValJO ? (Was: Where to define "quaternion"?)

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Dec 12, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org> wrote:
>
> I think this has already been worked out, but the main reason for no
> inheritance is that is probably blocks future conversion to value types.
> Composition instead of inheritance is usually the right solution.

+1 to that.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
I can see the paragraph I wrote way back when, but I'd disagree with myself
now. To be a VALJO you can't be abstract nor have subclasses, even a closed
set. I say this on the basis that AFAICT, future value types will also have
the same restrictions.

That said, VALJO rules are intended as a guide to best practice that may be
beneficial when value types arrive. I don't think the code you've got is
fundamentally wrong - its a reasonable way to share logic. An alternative
would be an enum `QuaternianType` that has methods.

final class Quaternion {
  private final QuaternionType type;
  private final double w;
private final double x;
private final double y;
private final double z;

 public double norm() {
   return type.norm(w, x, y, z);
 }

 public double normSq() {
   return type.norm(w, x, y, z);
 }
 // and so on
}

By delegating the methods via the type enum, you get flexible behaviour
without subclass.
Stephen

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com>.
I was just thinking from a practical standpoint. My current QuaternionRotation class is still in my working branch for GEOMETRY-14 and so isn't really accessible to anyone. If I can finish it up in its current state (hopefully very soon) and get it merged, then someone else will be able to work with it and blend the functionality with commons-numbers.

Here are some notes on your questions from before:

  * Should "QuaternionRotation" inherit from "Quaternion"?

That would work conceptually. The quaternions in the QuaternionRotation class are standard quaternions that meet two other criteria: 1) they are unit length, and 2) their scalar component is greater than or equal to zero (in order to standardize the angles involved). The one sticking point here is that I'm not sure how this fits with the VALJO concept. If we can get this sorted, then this very well may be the best option.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Unless anyone objects, I'm going to continue with what I'm working on with QuaternionRotation and create a merge request. That way, we'll at least have a reference implementation and baseline functionality for commons-geometry that we can modify later based on what's decided here.

-Matt

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.