Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Don Grey <do...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/01 21:35:50 UTC

RE: Re: Slow performance problem with svn status --show-updates on large reposi

When I do a:

svn status --show-updates --verbose "c:\projects\test\Docs\Version.doc"

we returned almost instantly. The folder Docs only has about 30 items total.

It would appear that the performance issue is with the amount of files in
the folder.

Is there any way to fix this? Can we throw more hardware at it?

Don

On 3/1/06, Don Grey <do...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Any help/pointers on improving performance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you see the slowness on all files, or only on files in directories that
contain many files?  The reason I ask is that Subversion doesn't handle very
large directories (i.e. a single directory with thousands of files in it),
and that could very well cause some performance issues.

-garrett

Re: Re: Slow performance problem with svn status --show-updates on large reposi

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 3/1/06, Don Grey <do...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> When I do a:
>
> svn status --show-updates --verbose "c:\projects\test\Docs\Version.doc"
>
> we returned almost instantly. The folder Docs only has about 30 items total.
>
> It would appear that the performance issue is with the amount of files in
> the folder.
>
> Is there any way to fix this? Can we throw more hardware at it?

Well, you could get faster disks and CPUs, although as far as which
would help more, you'd better be able to tell than I would by looking
at the server machine while this is happening.  Alternatively you
could break that directory up into smaller subdirectories.  That has
the best chance of working.

-garrett