Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Fonner <fo...@greenfern.com> on 2001/05/15 22:37:40 UTC

perplexing multiple servlet output question..

I wanted a web page to display the results of mutiple servlets (maybe even as many as 30 servlets) in rows on a web page.  At first I was going to try to do it with frames where each frame would load a servlet.  I then ran into a problem.  I forgot that frames bind to a window and that you can't scroll through a single page containing multiple frames (at least not that I know of).  Anybody have any opinion on how they might try to do this?

Example of a single Web page...

+----------------+
+  servlet 1  +
+----------------+
+  servlet 2  +
+----------------+
+  servlet 3  +
+----------------+
+    ect...    +
+----------------+

The user would then scroll through the page containing mutiple servlet output.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: perplexing multiple servlet output question..

Posted by Richard Draucker <ri...@draucker.com>.
You can do it by generating your output using javascript
document.write from within the servlets to print your
results.
Ex: Within each servlet include something like...

PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
out.println( "document.write('this is servlet data') );

...and in your web page put something like...
<script src="http://your_url.com/servlet/servlet1"></script>
<script src="http://your_url.com/servlet/servlet2"></script>
<script src="http://your_url.com/servlet/servlet3"></script>

The browser doesn't care that the javascript code is coming
from a servlet.  The browser's javascript engine will
execute the document.writes and print the text from the
servlet in place of the <script> tags  Use a separate
script tag for each servlet you want output from.
If you format your page with tables and put each script tag
in its own <td> on its own <tr>, you'll get reasonably nice
output of you servlet data.

On Tue, 15 May 2001, you wrote:

> I wanted a web page to display the results of mutiple servlets (maybe even as many as 30 servlets) in rows on a web page.  At first I was going to try to do it with frames where each frame would load a servlet.  I then ran into a problem.  I forgot that frames bind to a window and that you can't scroll through a single page containing multiple frames (at least not that I know of).  Anybody have any opinion on how they might try to do this?
>
> Example of a single Web page...
>
> +----------------+
> +  servlet 1  +
> +----------------+
> +  servlet 2  +
> +----------------+
> +  servlet 3  +
> +----------------+
> +    ect...    +
> +----------------+
>
> The user would then scroll through the page containing mutiple servlet output.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Richard Draucker,  richard@protected-data.com
Protected-Data.Com  www.protected-data.com
Remote data support for web developers.

Re: perplexing multiple servlet output question..

Posted by Kevin Fonner <fo...@greenfern.com>.
Yep, I tried that to.  Frameset tags don't seem to have scrolling property.

Posted by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu>.

1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/