Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Takashi Okamoto <to...@kun.ne.jp> on 2003/10/21 17:51:47 UTC

Re: [general:01488] [report:00053] Re: [PROPOSAL] Internatinalizing log and error messages

Hi Geir,

From: report@jajakarta.org
Subject: [general:01488] [report:00053] Re: [PROPOSAL] Internatinalizing log and error messages
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:07:21 -0400
> I think it would be cool to internationalize the log and error
> messages.  However, it would be nicer to be able to bind that into the
> vel jar, so you aren't toting lots of dependencies around with you when
> you need velocity.

I see. Tomcat provids StringManager class which provide convinience
function for I18N. Struts also use StringManager copy with difference
package name from tomcat's.

However it's a little trouble. So it's not good idea each application
have same function as their own class. They should share same code. In
the fact, I heard Struts will use commons resources in the future and
tomcat maybe. I think use commons resources is better then copy
StringManager class.

> Any way that can be done w/ commons resources?

Yes. I tested the function that I need to intenationalize
velocity. They works fine:)

> Isn't there resource support in the JDK already?

Yes, it is ResourceBundle class. However it's provide just basic
function. Tomcat's StringManager and commons-resources provide more
progressive function. They are wrapper of ResourceBundle.

Well, there is two choise for it. Please select,

(1) copy StringManager from tomcat and rename packages for Velocity.
    (ex. org.apache.velocity.util.StringManager). This don't provide
    additional jar file but can't share code.

(2) use commons-resources to share common code. But this needs
    additional jar.

I strongly recommend (2) but your opinion seems (1). Do you still
support (1) after read this mail?

> > 'http://www.jajakarta.org/velocity/'?
>
> done.  Could you add the ApacheCon logo to the site?

Ok, we'll add it soon.

regards,

Takashi Okamoto