Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/10/22 15:36:23 UTC

Improving Tasks

I'm starting to get the hang of Ant now and am starting to think about developing some tasks to increase what it can do.

However, before I start developing entirely new tasks, I thought I might take a whack at improving a few existing tasks. One improvement I'm thinking about involves the core task <input>. I'd like to enhance it in a couple of ways:
1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to prompt for a password that would remain unreadable to anyone looking over the users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"' parameter to make that possible with the default for 'mask' being 'false'.)
2. I'm thinking about adding the capability of having a radio button group and/or drop down lists so that there are some additional ways for users to provide input.

The problem here is that I haven't any real idea how to go about this. How would I get my hands on the source code for the existing task without stepping on anyone's toes? Would my enhancements have to be approved in advance or would I submit them and then go through some kind of voting process by Ant users with my changes discarded if I didn't "win" the vote? What testing would I have to do to satisfy the Ant community that my code was clean enough to implement?

Or should I develop an entirely new task with the intent of deprecating <input> and replacing it with my 'better' task (assuming I can get it to work ;-)?

By the way, is this the right list for these sorts of questions or should I be asking on the developers list?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare

Re: Improving Tasks

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
> > I'm starting to get the hang of Ant now and am starting to think
> > about developing some tasks to increase what it can do.
>
> Welcome.
>
> > 1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to
> > prompt for a password that would remain unreadable to anyone looking
> > over the users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"'
> > parameter to make that possible with the default for 'mask' being
> > 'false'.)
>
> Good luck ...
>
> IOW, we've tried before but couldn't produce a cross-platform
> solution.  Maybe you have a new approach, this would be great.

I see! I think I may have to discard this idea after all; I just assumed
that the reason a masked field wasn't available in <input> was because no
one ever bothered to add it. I didn't realize that it had been tried but ran
into portability issues. I certainly don't have any brilliant idea about how
to make a masked field portable.

> > 2. I'm thinking about adding the capability of having a radio button
> > group and/or drop down lists so that there are some additional ways
> > for users to provide input.
>
> Take a look at InputHandler[1] - you can provide a Swing InputHandler (I
> vaguelly recall somebody has coded this already).
>
> > The problem here is that I haven't any real idea how to go about
> > this. How would I get my hands on the source code for the existing
> > task without stepping on anyone's toes?
>
> No worries.  Nobody owns any tasks in Ant.

I'm glad to hear that; I don't want to start off by upsetting people who
feel "ownership" over the existing tasks.

> > Would my enhancements have to be approved in advance or would I
> > submit them and then go through some kind of voting process by Ant
> > users with my changes discarded if I didn't "win" the vote?
>
> Please read around a little in the Contribution and Project Managment
> sections of the Ant website.  "Votes" on changes would be performed by
> the committers (not users) on the dev@ant list.
>
> > What testing would I have to do to satisfy the Ant community that my
> > code was clean enough to implement?
>
> JUnit tests speak louder than any screen shot 8-)

Thanks for your answers ;-)

Rhino

Re: Improving Tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I'm starting to get the hang of Ant now and am starting to think
> about developing some tasks to increase what it can do.

Welcome.

> 1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to
> prompt for a password that would remain unreadable to anyone looking
> over the users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"'
> parameter to make that possible with the default for 'mask' being
> 'false'.)

Good luck ...

IOW, we've tried before but couldn't produce a cross-platform
solution.  Maybe you have a new approach, this would be great.

> 2. I'm thinking about adding the capability of having a radio button
> group and/or drop down lists so that there are some additional ways
> for users to provide input.

Take a look at InputHandler[1] - you can provide a Swing InputHandler (I
vaguelly recall somebody has coded this already).

> The problem here is that I haven't any real idea how to go about
> this. How would I get my hands on the source code for the existing
> task without stepping on anyone's toes?

No worries.  Nobody owns any tasks in Ant.

> Would my enhancements have to be approved in advance or would I
> submit them and then go through some kind of voting process by Ant
> users with my changes discarded if I didn't "win" the vote?

Please read around a little in the Contribution and Project Managment
sections of the Ant website.  "Votes" on changes would be performed by
the committers (not users) on the dev@ant list.

> What testing would I have to do to satisfy the Ant community that my
> code was clean enough to implement?

JUnit tests speak louder than any screen shot 8-)

Cheers

        Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  http://ant.apache.org/manual/inputhandler.html

--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/

Re: Improving Tasks

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Rhino wrote:

> 1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to prompt
> for a password that would remain unreadable to anyone looking over the
> users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"' parameter to make
> that possible with the default for 'mask' being 'false'.)

I like this alot.

Another area that would be nice to 'improve' (maybe it already exists in
another form?) would be the condition task. I have a situation where I
would like to get the input from a yes/no input task (Would you like to
get xxx from the server?), if yes then prompt from username and
password. Is this currently possible?

best,
-Rob

Re: Improving Tasks

Posted by Ivan Ivanov <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

> However, before I start developing entirely new
> tasks, I thought I might take a whack at improving a
> few existing tasks. One improvement I'm thinking
> about involves the core task <input>. I'd like to
> enhance it in a couple of ways:
> 1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could
> be used to prompt for a password that would remain
> unreadable to anyone looking over the users
> shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"'
> parameter to make that possible with the default for
> 'mask' being 'false'.)

I have already implemented two InputHandlers - one
that  reads and masks password from command line and
one that show a Swing dialog with password field. You
can find the at Ant Resource page, Section Articles
[1], the article "Extending Ant Input Abilities". If
you have any question on it I would be he happy to
answer them.

[1] http://ant.apache.org/resources.html

Re: Improving Tasks

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
Thank you! I hadn't gotten to those pages yet; they look like they are going
to be very helpful in understanding the open source development process.

Rhino
I think this page should answer all your questions:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

Check out the "Contribute Code or Documentation Patches" section, in
particular.

Regards,
~Jeff

RE: Improving Tasks