Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by phillip rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/22 19:22:28 UTC

multiple page templates that all use same page spec?

I apologize for what may be one of the most stupid
questions of all time, but I can't figure out how to
do this in tapestry

I have 25 page templates, and I want to use the same
page specification for each one of them.
Is there a way that one can re-use a page
specification for multiple pages?
I just want to change the UI of the page, there is no
need to change the spec or page class that is behind
the UI.

Thanks very much.  I don't want to duplicate 25 page
specs!

Re: multiple page templates that all use same page spec?

Posted by Michael Echerer <me...@tngtech.com>.

phillip rhodes wrote:
> I apologize for what may be one of the most stupid
> questions of all time, but I can't figure out how to
> do this in tapestry
I couldn't, too.

> I have 25 page templates, and I want to use the same
> page specification for each one of them.
> Is there a way that one can re-use a page
> specification for multiple pages?
> I just want to change the UI of the page, there is no
> need to change the spec or page class that is behind
> the UI.
Use CSS to do the UI layout. Dependend on which browsers you need to
support this might work, as you could do e.g. absolute positioning of
components etc.

But I also haven't found anything to avoid spec duplication, guess this
is simply missing. Reuse of java classes is easy, but templates seem to
be connected to the filename of the .jwc file and IHMO there is no
"template-file property" similar to the class name.
With fully exchangable templates one could easily do "skinning" of
Tapestry 3.x webapps.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: multiple page templates that all use same page spec?

Posted by John Studarus <jo...@yahoo.com>.
You need a one to one mapping of HTML to PAGE files.
Can you move things into a group of components,
include those components into the pages and then just
change the UI of the page files?  Or you can have your
build process duplicate the page spec before creating
the war file.