Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ian Verga <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/22 03:59:36 UTC

HOW-TO Startup Tomcat on Linux

i'm a newbie at linux and tomcat. can anyone give me a
site or tell me how to start-up Tomcat on Linux? tnx.

Re: HOW-TO Startup Tomcat on Linux

Posted by Rob Reis <wi...@yahoo.com>.
At a high level, here's what you should do:

1.  Download and install the JDK (latest=1.4.0_01);  I
would install it to the /usr/local directory.  Unless
you have provided yourself with the appropriate
permissions, you will have to log in as root to do
this.  Once the JDK is install, set a JAVA_HOME
environment variable to point to the installation
directory root:  You do this with the following
statement (assuming that your JDK root is /usr/local)
<pre> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local </pre>

2.  Download and unpack the Tomcat binary
(latest=4.0.4)
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.4/bin/);
copy the file to the directory in which you want to
upack it, then unpack it with <pre> tar -cvf [tomcat
distribution file name]</pre>

3.  Set the CATALINA_HOME environment variable to the
tomcat installation root.

4.  Run tomcat by entering
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh