Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rayson Ho <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/22 18:47:39 UTC

performance: Derby vs H2

Is it really true that H2 is faster than Derby??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Derby

A year ago, I tried to remove the section that says that H2 is faster,
but someone always added it back into the article. And besides me,
seems like no one really care about the "Comparison to other embedded
SQL Java databases" section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apache_Derby#Benchmarks

Is it a well-known fact that H2 is always faster??

And there is also H2's benchmark page:

http://www.h2database.com/html/performance.html

Is it a fair comparsion??

Rayson

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Brett Wooldridge <br...@gmail.com>.
Speed is important, but so is stability.  H2 does not have anywhere
near the track record of Derby. There are hundreds of thousands of
Derby installations running 24/7.  I have used Derby for years, as
have my customers, in mission critical applications and I have never
experienced a corruption or failure.

Unless you are doing something truly advanced Derby is fast enough.
For those other cases, H2 would also be unsuitable.  You would need
something like PostgreSQL or Oracle.

Brett

Sent from my iPhone

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Rami Ojares <ra...@pdf-comics.com>.

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Peter Ondruška <pe...@gmail.com>.
Not really. By stability I mean being happy "Derby" user since its
Cloudscape ages..

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Rayson Ho <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Peter Ondruška <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by Rayson Ho <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: performance: Derby vs H2

Posted by bruehlicke <br...@gmail.com>.
It is a unconstructive question to ask. It depends on many
requirements and situations. Is a car faster than an airplane ? Well