Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sasa <sa...@shoponweb.it> on 2005/07/08 16:27:11 UTC

rpm installation and dependencies

Hi, on Fedora Core 3 when execute:

[root@test ~]# rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.4.tar.gz
error: Failed build dependencies:
        perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.4-1.i386
[root@test ~]# cpan
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

cpan> install Digest::SHA1
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
  Database was generated on Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:03:59 GMT
Digest::SHA1 is up to date.

cpan> quit
Terminal does not support GetHistory.
Lockfile removed

..before of to install Mail-SpamAssassin I have installed Digest::SHA1, therefore because I have an error ??
thanks.

        Salvatore.

Re: rpm installation and dependencies

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "sasa" <sa...@shoponweb.it>

> "Steve Sobol" wrote:
>
> > That's the way I'd do it. I'd much, MUCH rather install Perl modules via
> > CPAN than have to go resolve RPM dependencies. If there's an RPM
available
> > that works with my distro, great! Otherwise...
>
> ..I have used YUM and the installation it's ok !!
> thanks.
>
>         Salvatore.

You and Warren are half right. The install is without declared error and
it works, after a fashion. I had a working 3.0.4 installation. I imported
the files to the location CPAN seems to use for the local configuration.
The error rate I saw was astoundingly larger than the setup I had on
Mandrake. (I had to rip out their SA and install via CPAN, with FAR
fewer additional items needed, in order to get it happy to work with.
At the time all Mandrake had was 3.0.3 and 3.0.4 was out with some rather
important fixes.) I took that as an indication that the installation was
somewhat Borked. So, I ripped it out and transplanted via CPAN. It was
far easier than trying to Bugzilla it, spend months waiting for someone
to get around to fixing it, and meanwhile living with a high error rate.
I also noticed that the files which were installed for the FC4 install
seemed to be different from the archive I took of the install I'd been
running with critical locations for files changed. This MAY have come
from using the /etc/mail alternative to the structurally cleaner
/etc/mail/spamassassin destination for local.cf related files.

So yes, FC4 does install it and it runs without error. For reasons I
can, at this time, only surmise the error rates on both spam and ham
that I saw were about 10 times worse than that to which I have grown
to enjoy. I was in a hurry to get it working so I did what I felt I
had to do to get it working right.

{^_^}

Re: rpm installation and dependencies

Posted by sasa <sa...@shoponweb.it>.

Posted by Steve Sobol <sj...@JustThe.net>.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table"   --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Re: rpm installation and dependencies

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Jim Maul wrote on Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:40:11 -0400:

> http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/

Thanks, I had a look at it. Unfortunately, looks like too much work
compared to --nodeps ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: rpm installation and dependencies

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
sasa wrote:
> "Jim Maul" wrote:
>

>>http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/
>

> ..with this (cpan2rpm) I can remove to perl module installed with cpan method ??
> still thanks.
>
>         Salvatore.

I really dont know.  I've never used it myself, i just googled "cpan
rpm" and i found that.

-Jim

Re: rpm installation and dependencies

Posted by sasa <sa...@shoponweb.it>.

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Sasa wrote on Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:27:11 +0200:
>

>>..before of to install Mail-SpamAssassin I have installed Digest::SHA1,
>>therefore because I have an error
>

> Someone correct me, but I think the problem arises from the fact that you
> installed the Perl module via CPAN. The rpmbuild looks in the rpm database
> and can't find it. I've seen many similar problems with applying rpms with
> Perl dependencies. You have to install the Perl module via rpm. Or is
> there a way to tell rpm about cpan'ed modules?
>
> Kai

http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/

-Jim

Re: rpm installation and dependencies