Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/04/06 17:02:27 UTC

3.1 status check?

In prior milestones, I noticed development quieting down prior to ship.  If
anything, I see activity picking up in the last two weeks.  I'm not just
talking about quantity, but many of the kinds of changes I am seeing are
more in the core than the fringe.

This makes me bit nervous about cutting a "final" 3.1 release at this
point.  Most of these changes have not had the benfit of widespread
testing.  Should I create a release candidate instead with a burn in
period?

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  A burn in time might be an excellent time to hammer a roadmap for
what happens beyond 3.1...

Re: 3.1 status check?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> In prior milestones, I noticed development quieting down prior to ship.  If
> anything, I see activity picking up in the last two weeks.  I'm not just
> talking about quantity, but many of the kinds of changes I am seeing are
> more in the core than the fringe.
>
> This makes me bit nervous about cutting a "final" 3.1 release at this
> point.  Most of these changes have not had the benfit of widespread
> testing.  Should I create a release candidate instead with a burn in
> period?

+1 for RC1 -- but we've got many outstanding bugs (including quite a few in
JSP-land) that would have to go on the FINR (fixed in next rev) list.

Also, are you planning on a synchronized 3.1rc1 release of Ant and Watchdog?
If so, there's a bunch of outstanding Ant issues in Bugzilla as well.

> - Sam Ruby

Craig

> P.S.  A burn in time might be an excellent time to hammer a roadmap for
> what happens beyond 3.1...

Working on a suggested way to document the results of this discussion, will be
posted later today.

Re: 3.1 status check?

Posted by MANDAR RAJE <ma...@pathfinder.eng.sun.com>.
I would say that we create a release candidate tomorrow (3.1RC).
Only critical bug fixes should go into 3.1RC, everything else can
go in the main tree. And then, after a week we call it final.
This will help us have some stability/quality gurantees for the
release.

I personally don't like the distinction between fixes to
"unsupported" code and the ones to "supported" code. Fixes
are fixes and can have ripple effects.

Mandar.

Re: 3.1 status check?

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com>.