Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Webber <we...@mminternet.com> on 2002/02/19 03:31:01 UTC

Generate Random username

I am setting up a site where I want to allow a user to create their own
username.  The username and passwords are stored in an Oracle database.  If
the username is already taken I want to be able to give them some choices of
alternate usernames like Yahoo and some other places do.  What is the best
way to do this?

Given:
username webber is already taken I want to give options like: webber02
webber01 and so on.  Do these generators just make up a id and then check to
see if it is already in the database and if it isn't give it as an option?

TIA
Jason