Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Aden Jones <ad...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/27 10:18:23 UTC

Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Okay Iam new to Tomcat so please go easy on me.

Basically I've been given an assignment that employs JSF, Hibernate and
Tomcat as the servlet. Ive got everything else working but have two tasks
that need to be run at a certain time of the week. Searching online I've had
a lot of trouble finding anything coherent. My teacher seems to think that
the servlet itself can run the scheduled task by inserting something into my
web.xml file and it will run the classes that are the scheduled tasks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.
The simplest way to do this is to learn the Timer API:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Timer.html

Then put your timer code into a new servlet that you add to your
webapp.  Or add your code to an existing servlet in your webapp.

There are plenty of other open source scheduling API's as well, but
you probably don't need them for anything this simple.

Dan

Re: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Posted by supareno <re...@free.fr>.
Hi,

if it is possible, you could use Spring and the scheduling Quartz
implementation
check out this
http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/reference/scheduling.html

regards

supareno

Posted by Aden Jones <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009

Re: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Aden Jones wrote:
> Okay Iam new to Tomcat so please go easy on me.
>
> Basically I've been given an assignment that employs JSF, Hibernate and
> Tomcat as the servlet.

Tomcat is the "Servlet Container".
You write or add Servlets to it.

> Ive got everything else working but have two tasks
> that need to be run at a certain time of the week. Searching online I've had
> a lot of trouble finding anything coherent. My teacher seems to think that
> the servlet itself can run the scheduled task by inserting something into my
> web.xml file and it will run the classes that are the scheduled tasks.

A Servlet coded to do such a thing could do.

Tomcat does not have a job scheduler built into it.

There are open source job scheduler libraries written in Java that are
easy to use with Servlet Containers. GIYF.