Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/27 17:37:09 UTC

Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Hello.

We're upgrading Camel to 3.20.4. This version of Camel seems to depend
on Spring 5.3.27.

As the application should run on Karaf 4.4.3 that provides spring
components with version 5.3.23.

Should we either force our project dependencies to use Spring 5.3.23,
or try to upgrade the Karaf repository to use Spring 5.3.27 ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

As you say, it's probably not a big problem. But it seems better
executing unit tests with the same or nearest dependency stack,
specially blueprint Camel tests that aim to validate our routes and
their context as well.

Indeed, having a new Spring version with a next Karaf release should the
simplest solution.

Thanks.

Regards.

Ephemeris Lappis

--
Cet e-mail a été vérifié par le logiciel antivirus d'Avast.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

RE: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Maurice Betzel <m....@gaston-schul.com>.
This should not be needed, as Francois sayed Camel uses a version span of up to version 6.
Servicemix seems to go up to 5.3.26_1 in Maven Central. So if 27 is a must you could create it yourself with the servicemix parent and add a pullrequest against servicemix.

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello again !

As you say, I'm afraid I have to wait for new SMX bundles/features for
Spring 5.3.27. I thought that SMX was a "dying" project : does it
survive, at least to provide things for Karaf ?

Coming back to our choices : if SMX were what it was some years ago, I
think that it could have been a good choice for our applications using
prepackaged Karaf+AMQ+Camel features with consistent versions. But we
decided to take Karaf as our base middleware, and make ourselves the
Camel stack and other more applicative features. This gives us some
liberty but also restrictions, when Karaf and Camel, for Spring for
example, have non-convergent versions.

You're probably right : there's a very limited risk that unit-tests
and runtime code have distinct behaviors, but it exists. I think it
should be better to use the same Spring version if we don't want that
someday in the future (we are still building the solution that is not
going to go to production), someone reports a bug that we'll not be
able reproduce in tests.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello again.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello again.

RE: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Maurice Betzel <m....@gaston-schul.com>.
Hi,

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

The Camel features are using a range for the Spring version:

<feature name='camel-spring' version='3.20.4' start-level='50'>
     <bundle
dependency='true'>mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/1.1.1</bundle>
     <feature version='[5,6)'>spring</feature>
     <feature version='[5,6)'>spring-tx</feature>
     <feature version='3.20.4'>camel-core</feature>
<bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core-xml/3.20.4</bundle>
<bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-spring/3.20.4</bundle>
<bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-spring-xml/3.20.4</bundle>
   </feature>

So it will be take the higher version of Spring available in Karaf.

Regards,

François

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

RE: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Maurice Betzel <m....@gaston-schul.com>.
Hi,

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
I think that 5.3.x unit tests are backward compatible so will not be broken.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello again.

Re: Karaf, Camel, and Spring