Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> on 2017/12/10 04:41:43 UTC

November board report

I submitted the following board report. Please let me know if you would
like any changes; tho board meets on the 20th.

For the next three months, we report each month, then we will go back to
once a quarter again. The audience now is the ASF board, not the IPMC.

Impala is a high-performance distributed SQL engine.

## Issues:

There are no special issues the board should be aware of.

## Activity:

Impala graduated from the incubator to a TLP on 15 November 2017. The
incubator report covering August, September, and October is available at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2017.

Notable efforts in November include Hadoop 3.0 compatibility work,
TABLESAMPLE
work to compute statistics more quickly, test reliability, decimal
arithmetic
type changes, client connectivity bug fixes, and changing the RPC mechanism
for data stream service.

## Health report:

The project is healthy. November had 90 commits, the same as October. The
dev
list had 139 emails, compared to 175 in the previous 30 days. The user list
had 31 emails, compared to 17 in the previous 30 days. 109 tickets were
resolved, compared to 101 in October. 122 tickets were created, compared to
130 in October.

Several new contributors have been active.

## PMC and committer changes:

The most recent new PMC member was added on 2017-09-27. Two new committers
were added on 2017-09-29.

## Releases:

The last release was 2017-09-14. Discussions for the next release are in
progress. Discussions of a major (compatibility-breaking) release have
occurred, but there does not appear to be much enthusiasm to do such a
release
right now. Some compat-breaking changes, like DECIMAL_V2, are available
already behind feature flags.