Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Sergey Missan <ad...@javable.com> on 2003/10/02 19:16:58 UTC

Idea: Forrest for JavaHelp generation

Hello guys and gals,

I was writing some JavaHelp docs for the GUI app I'm working on. The
docs are basically a bunch of quite simple HTML 3.2-compat files,
neatly arranged into subdirs. I was using excellent jhelpdev to
convert them into the JavaHelp helpset (e.g. generate index and toc,
create searchable database). And then it struck me -- why wouldn't we
use Forrest to author JavaHelp? Think about the possibilities -- you
can use the same set of XML docs to generate JavaHelp for your
application and generate a website with online help! This is because
JavaHelp docs and websites have high degree of overlap -- lots of
stuff is being simply duplicated in helpset and on website -- general
overview, tutorials, description of GUI components, etc.

I think the one thing that will be required for the project like this
is a simple extension of site.xml with attribute "keywords" where
keywords for index generation will be stored. Then we need a target
javahelp for the Ant-ish forrest invocation, that would generate
helpset and that's it.

Comments?

-- Sergey

 AA     AA
  AAAAAAA   Daily
   AA AA   Java
    AAA   News

http://www.javable.com/

Re[2]: Idea: Forrest for JavaHelp generation

Posted by Sergey Missan <ad...@javable.com>.
Hello Nick,

NC> Docbook does this,  It is very nice.
NC> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/docbook/xsl/javahelp/javahelp.xsl?rev=1.7&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
yes, looks nice indeed. Although docbook is probably an overkill in
this case and Forrest is just plain cool :^)

-- Sergey

Re: Idea: Forrest for JavaHelp generation

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.