Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Madere, Colin" <co...@ieminc.com> on 2002/12/05 00:10:31 UTC

[users@httpd] SSI: can't get it to work

httpd 2.0.43 on both Solaris 8 and Win2k

I followed the Apache2 docs here
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/ssi.html), but there must be
something I'm missing since SSI does not seem to work (I get no error and
the <!-- #include virtual="includeme.shtml" --> statement can be seen via

I have tried (at least) the following permutations in my httpd.conf in the
<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"> block AND all the SSI stuff above
and outside the <Directory> blocks (minus the Options directive):

1)
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks +Includes
SetOutputFilter INCLUDES		# sort of cross-referenced in above
docs
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml		# seems to be a httpd 1.3 thing
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

2)
Options Includes
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

3)
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
SetOutputFilter INCLUDES		# sort of cross-referenced in above
docs
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

And probably a few more I forgot...

My .shtml files have simply:

test.shtml
<HTML>
<BODY>
Testing includes:<BR><BR>
<!-- #include virtual="includeme.shtml" -->
</BODY>
</HTML>

includeme.shtml
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Testing SSI configuration.

Re: [users@httpd] SSI: can't get it to work

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Madere, Colin wrote:
>> I have tried (at least) the following permutations in my httpd.conf in the
>> <Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"> block AND all the SSI stuff above
>> and outside the <Directory> blocks (minus the Options directive):
<snip>

>> Testing includes:<BR><BR>
>> <!-- #include virtual="includeme.shtml" -->
>
>I'm not sure that you are allowed to have a space between the "<!--" and
>the "#".  Try removing that.

Wondered about that myself, but am too lazy to test ;)

I'm running 1.3 Debian binaries, so this may be way off base.  Do you
have mod_include enabled?  Here is ref to Apache 2.0 doc:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_include.html

--
gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
  Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:

Re: [users@httpd] SSI: can't get it to work

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Madere, Colin wrote:
> I have tried (at least) the following permutations in my httpd.conf in the
> <Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"> block AND all the SSI stuff above
> and outside the <Directory> blocks (minus the Options directive):
>
> 1)
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks +Includes
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

This is fine. (Although the "+" sign is superfluous.)

> Testing includes:<BR><BR>
> <!-- #include virtual="includeme.shtml" -->

I'm not sure that you are allowed to have a space between the "<!--" and
the "#".  Try removing that.

Joshua.