Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Forge <fo...@neonics.com> on 2001/02/07 20:54:24 UTC

Seminar subject Cocoon

Hi there,

Tomorrow the university I go to organises a student seminar.
My lecture is about Cocoon.

There is something that is not completely clear to me, and I expect
questions about it:

Excerpt from Stefano's slides:

The problems with JSP:
- logic has direct access to the output
- output is always streamed

Our solution: XSP
- logic as _not_ direct access to the output
- output is _never_ streamed

I think that xsp has direct access to output: you can insert XML tags
into the stream.
You also have access to the servlet HttpResult object.
If you ignore the last remark, you could say that xsp does not have
direct access to the _final_ output stream, but rather to its own output
stream (it HAS to have that, right?)

Then by output we mean the final stream.
Why is output _never_ streamed? The final output stream is most certainly
streamed to the web-client (maybe even through the webserver?)

If the above means that the output of an xsp page is a DOM tree structure,
than I can understand it, but in Cocoon2 the output IS streamed into
SAX events..

So if the above does no longer hold for Cocoon 2, I need to strip them..
That means that there are only two points in favor of XSP to JSP,
namely the 'abstraction of programming language' and 'abstraction
of output', although the latter could be accomplished with JSP..

Any guru's want to commenton this? Preferrably Stefano himself? :))

i need this fast...!~

thanks

Re: Where to put Selfmade Taglibs

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Eduard Ralph wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with own Tag Libs. I took the existing Tag Libs as
> basis and worte a very simple one myself.
> My Question ist, where to I place this Tag Lib, if I want it to be included
> like esql-Tag Lib? Is there some sort of standard directory, or how does
> Cocoon find the actual file? Unfourtunenatly the Documentation on those
> details are a little thinner ....

The mapping of those tag libs is specified by the configuration files.
In Cocoon 1 it is through cocoon.properties, and in Cocoon 2 it is
through cocoon.xconf.  You will see a number of taglibs using the URL
resource:/org/apache/cocoon/.... The "resource" pseudo protocol loads
the Taglibs from the classloader.  You can use the File protocol, or
in Cocoon 2 you can use the context protocol--which will load the
resource relative to the root of your context.

Using that approach I map my taglibs to
context:/WEB-INF/logicsheets/mysheet.xsl

Note: I may port this pseudo protocol to Cocoon 1 in the near future.

Re: Where to put Selfmade Taglibs

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Eduard Ralph wrote:

> I've been experimenting with own Tag Libs. I took the existing Tag Libs as
> basis and worte a very simple one myself.
> My Question ist, where to I place this Tag Lib, if I want it to be included
> like esql-Tag Lib? Is there some sort of standard directory, or how does
> Cocoon find the actual file? Unfourtunenatly the Documentation on those
> details are a little thinner ....

check out cocoon.properties.

- donald

Where to put Selfmade Taglibs