Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Anderson <be...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 18:43:13 UTC

hooking apache auth to unix accounts

Hi,
I'm trying to move my company's cvs repos to svn repos and was told if
I can get it up and running for people to try it out, then maybe we'll
use it.  I've setup svn repos and apache before, but only with basic
authentication.  What I'd like to do is setup authentication so that
apache authenticates users the same way our solaris system does.  I'm
not really worried about authorization at this point.  Does anyone
know how to do this?  Is this a more general Apache question?  Any
help is greatly appreciated (even if you just point me somewhere
else).
Thanks,
Ben

Re: hooking apache auth to unix accounts

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Jeff Marder wrote:
> >I use mod_auth_pam on Linux with pam configured to use both the local
> >password file and an NT domain for subversion and several other
> >web services.  I'm not sure about solaris, though.
>
> I remember looking at that about a month ago. It kind of made me
> nervous that right on the front page they say that it's no longer
> supported/developed, but it mostly works. They recommend using
> mod_authnz_external (http://unixpapa.com/mod_authnz_external/). I
> spent a few minutes trying to get it to work and then gave up. I just
> didn't feel like tinkering with it all afternoon. Has anyone else used
> this?

I had set up mod_authnz_external on my personal box and had it working
fine.  It was reading from my local Linux accounts without any problems.

It took me about an hour to get it installed / setup / working when I
read through the instructions.

Regards,
Frank

Re: hooking apache auth to unix accounts

Posted by Jeff Marder <je...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: hooking apache auth to unix accounts

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.

On 9/19/06, Ben Anderson <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to move my company's cvs repos to svn repos and was told if
> I can get it up and running for people to try it out, then maybe we'll
> use it.  I've setup svn repos and apache before, but only with basic
> authentication.  What I'd like to do is setup authentication so that
> apache authenticates users the same way our solaris system does.  I'm
> not really worried about authorization at this point.  Does anyone
> know how to do this?  Is this a more general Apache question?  Any
> help is greatly appreciated (even if you just point me somewhere
> else).
> Thanks,
> Ben

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."