Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/09/06 02:21:55 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Should we create sub-projects for HDFS and Map/Reduce?

On Aug 15, 2008, at 10:03 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

>> Another benefit is that it would increase the separation of these
>> technologies, so that, e.g., folks could more easily run different
>> versions of mapreduce on top of different versions of HDFS.
>> Currently we make no such guarantees.  Folks would be able to
>> upgrade to, e.g., the next release of mapreduce on a subset of
>> their cluster without upgrading their HDFS.  That's not currently
>> supported.  As we move towards splitting mapreduce into a scheduler
>> and runtime, where folks can specify a different runtime per job,
>> this will be even more critical.
>
> Sounds like we simply need to create separate jar files for these
> different components.  This can be done in the current project.
>
> Wouldn't the amount of effort to make this split and get it right be
> better spent on getting all components of Hadoop to 1.0 (API
> stability)?  The proposal feels like a distraction to me at this
> point in the project.
>
> Nige

I'd like to retract the -1 vote that I gave this proposal earlier.
One compelling reason (for me) to split HDFS and Map/Reduce into
separate sub-projects is that (hopefully) the *configs* for each layer
will be clearer and simpler.

So I'm now +1 on this proposal.

Nige

Re: [VOTE] Should we create sub-projects for HDFS and Map/Reduce?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
BTW The initial work to sort out the module dependencies (but not
actually split the projects) is being carried out in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3750.

Tom

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1

I would prefer to keep hdfs and mapreduce together because I believe
that this arrangement catches incompatability sooner that later. But
with the coming of age of both these modules separately, I guess it is
time to grow them on their own individual turf!

thanks,
dhruba