Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Lars George <la...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/02 12:11:18 UTC

Powered By Page

Hi,

Please see http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/PoweredBy

Everyone on this list, kindly consider verifying that your entry on the Powered By page is current.

For those who are users of HBase but have not added yourself to the above page: if you are happy to share this with us and the rest of the world, please add your project.

Thank you all for helping out.

Regards,
Lars

Re: Powered By Page

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Buckley,Ron <bu...@oclc.org> wrote:
> Stack/Lars,
>
> Here's an entry for OCLC:
>
> OCLC (www.worldcat.org) uses HBase as the main data store for WorldCat,
> a union catalog which aggregates the collections of 72,000 libraries in
> 112 countries and territories.  WorldCat is currently comprised of
> nearly 1 billion records with nearly 2 billion library ownership
> indications. We're running a 50 Node HBase cluster and a separate
> offline map-reduce cluster.

Done

(Are we allowed favorites?  If so, this is one of mine...)

St.Ack

RE: Powered By Page

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
Adding capcha didn't help?

Sent from my iPad

Re: Powered By Page

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Taylor, Ronald C
<ro...@pnnl.gov> wrote:

Thanks for the interesting setup description Ronald.  Definitely
interested in how things progress.

Go easy,

St.Ack

RE: Powered By Page

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnnl.gov>.
Hi Stack,

Re Lustre use: I'm not a hardware infrastructure type of guy, but I can tell you that we have a very fast interconnect for access into the global filesystem:

"The Olympus Infiniband topology is a combination of 2:1 oversubscribed 36 port leaf switches and direct links into a 648 port core Qlogic QDR Infiniband switch."

I am not really worried about loss of data locality and slower speed of access to the Hbase tables. That is, this is not (yet) a production environment for multiple users with real time access. Though I think it would work - it's been quite stable, for one thing, and I have not noticed any speed problem in retrieving records.  But I have not done any serious timings, and currently we are not stressing Hbase, in that the warehouse is being used by a just a few bioinformaticians, not the general community, so to speak. I'm happy to simply have the data gathered in one place that provides scalability and for which I can easily write custom analytics programs that I can build upon and that won't have to be moved to another database framework down the line.

As the warehouse grows, I do plan on doing some testing, comparing HBase access using local disk storage vs Lustre. But that's when I have more time, and the warehouse is large enough for some real testing. We also have the option of putting *everything* into Lustre, both Hbase tables and all temp HDFS file storage used by our Map Reduce programs. So - no local disk use at all. I'm curious as to how well that would work. Possibly quite well, but no  testing yet. Want to try that. It should be a pretty simple switch -  our olympus support people have already constructed alternate starting points that load all the libs into Lustre instead of each local disk), but got other more immediate work to do first.

BTW - the Dept of Energy's new five-year systems biology knowledgebase project - the largest single bioinformatics project at DOE, I believe - is using Hadoop for several things in its multiple backends. See http://kbase.science.energy.gov/. I believe that Michael Schatz at Cold Spring Harbor Lab is heading up the Hadoop work, with clusters at Lawrence Berkeley, Argonne Nat Lab, and Oak Ridge.  Not sure how HBase fits in -they are getting into some NoSQL work, but not sure what they'll be using. HBase, I hope, but don't know.

 Ron

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (U.S. Dept of Energy/Battelle)
Richland, WA 99352
phone: (509) 372-6568
Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

RE: Powered By Page