Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "sauli.ketola" <sa...@mbnet.fi> on 2013/03/27 15:50:35 UTC

Re: tomcat session replication

Igor Vaynberg-2 wrote
> ..the loadbalancer is
> configured to only send new sessions to A while B is being "starved"
> of new sessions.

I know this is an old thread but I found it just now when facing a similar
case.
Could you or someone explain more: How do you do this and what load balancer
are you using for this? Do you know would nginx support this?

I would guess that it would be pretty common to have to wait for sessions to
die before starting to install the server but it seems to be pretty hard to
find any concrete examples.

If someone could point me to the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

-Sauli

Re: tomcat session replication

Posted by "sauli.ketola" <sa...@mbnet.fi>.
Dan Retzlaff wrote
> Alternatively, Tomcat 7 supports
> parallel deployments so theoretically you can upgrade in-place [1].
> [1]
> http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2011/05/31/parallel-deployment-tomcat-7

Wow, I didn't know Tomcat had that feature. That could be the solution, I
need to try it out. Thanks!

-Sauli

Re: tomcat session replication

Posted by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sauli.

The context of your question is not clear to me. Are you trying to upgrade
a running cluster?

I have not used Nginx, but Apache HTTPD allows you to disable balancer
members from receiving new sessions. Alternatively, Tomcat 7 supports
parallel deployments so theoretically you can upgrade in-place [1]. In any
case, my understanding is that the main risk to abruptly taking a node down
is that the new node won't have users' page history (in DiskDataStore). His
current page and session state will however be available.

Any confirmation or correction of these statements from the community would
be appreciated.

Dan