Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/10/26 00:58:54 UTC

Pending release tasks

After we have a successful vote (hopefully soon), we'll have to start
working on the last steps to distribute a release.

They are tracked on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 but for a
short summary:

1) Preparing Release Notes. I've already updated
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
but it still needs work. I can take care of it.

2) Upload to mirrors. Does anyone know how to copy files to SF, and how
long it takes? If it is a lengthy operation I'd rather start it soon. If
anyone is available, please step forward.

3) Preparing the website. It's better if our many JS files are updated
by someone who is familiar with them, but it looks like this time we
won't have structural changes, so a simple change 4.1.1 -> 4.1.2 may
suffice, we won't need a lot of testing.

4) Preparing a short press release. Nothing really big, something like
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/announcing_apache_openoffice_4_1 can
be OK, or something more elaborate if we manage to put together a few
quotes (after all, it has been a while since 4.1.1, so a new release is
significant news).

5) Enabling update notifications for 4.1.1. This can come gradually.

If you want a timeline, I think we can aim at Monday for tasks #1 and
(pending successful conclusion of the ongoing vote) #2, which means that
the release could be as soon as tasks #3 and #4 are done, so one of
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night European time.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Pending release tasks

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Excellent!

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> The 4.1.2 folder now contain en-US only and is set to be "staged". If
>> there are no big surprises and if propagation is still smooth as it was
>> for the en-US test, the release is only 24-48 hours away.
>>

> For the record, everything worked fine. Files are now all available on
> SourceForge (in hidden, or "staged", form). Technically, this means we
> could start serving version 4.1.2 right now: it's enough to publish the
> files and apply the download page changes.
>
> Still, there are a number of small things to do in terms of website
> preparation, announce mails,

​In the past, the Release Manager sends out announcements e-mail to
users@openofffice.apache.org, announce@openoffice.apache.org, and
announce@apache.org.
​

> translations, ASF mirrors synchronization (for sources) and such, so
> Wednesday evening European time seems best. Marcus, would it be OK for you
> to aim at Wednesday 18.30 Berlin time? See
>

> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151028T1830&p1=37
>
> to see the corresponding time worldwide. This would leave us some time
> during the European evening to send out the post-release announcements.
>

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
                                                          --Lao Tzu

RE: Pending release tasks

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I haven't seen anything via announce@ oo.a.o, which I will be using later too.

It looks like we need some diversification of moderation.

Do we need Infra JIRA issues to add more admins?

 - Dennis

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/29/2015 01:42 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Gavin will have a look for the problem. We will go on tomorrow.
>
> The site builds correctly now:
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/ooo-site-site-staging
>
> but I haven't checked if all your commits were properly applied (the
> ones to the Italian pages were not applied until I made further updates).
>
> Note that for urgent Infra issues you can open http://infra.chat/ and
> Infra is usually very friendly there.

yes, that's what I've used yesterday.

Now everything should be fine and showing/pointing to 4.1.2.

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/29/2015 08:46 PM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:34:55 +0100
> Marcus<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> Gavin will have a look for the problem. We will go on tomorrow.
>>
>> OK, the CMS build is working again.
>>
>> I've hopefully fixed all websites that were broken in the middle of the
>> updates. Now al ldownloads should show and point to the 4.1.2 release.
>>
>> And I think I know what went wrong:
>> I've committed to fast, and not waited for finishing the staging build
>> before committing the next change.
>>
>> So, even when it's a bit slow in the case of release a new version,
>> committing and waiting for finishing the staging build seems to be key.
>>

>> Next task:
>> Update the headline to 4.1.2 - mostly it's still "New: Apache OpenOffice
>> 4.1.1 released!" or similar.
>>
>> Marcus
>
> A question (from my ignorance): is there a flag that can be set on the download page code  that forces it to be redownloaded to the querying computer, so that the user does not have to refresh the page in his browser cache?

good question. I'm not a super expert of frontend design but I don't
know of any such function or possibility.

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/29/2015 11:50 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:34:55 +0100 Marcus wrote:
>>> And I think I know what went wrong:
>>> I've committed to fast, and not waited for finishing the staging build
>>> before committing the next change.
>
> Probably it was my fault then. I updated the Italian site while you were
> updating download pages (in other dirs). We may have committed in the
> same second. The first broken build at
>
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/ooo-site-site-staging/?numbuilds=50
>
> (number 70) was mine. So if this is the cause, it may have been an
> unfortunate coincidence where I committed after a commit of yours.

ah, interesting. But the (maybe) root cause remains: commit and wait for
the finished staging build. Anyway, let's remember this for the future.

>>> Next task:
>>> Update the headline to 4.1.2 - mostly it's still "New: Apache OpenOffice
>>> 4.1.1 released!" or similar.
>
> Asked to the l10n list, even though we may replace it globally for the
> languages that do not use a translated headline.

OK, I'll try to catch the english ones tomorrow.

>> A question (from my ignorance): is there a flag that can be set on the
>> download page code that forces it to be redownloaded to the querying
>> computer, so that the user does not have to refresh the page in his
>> browser cache?
>
> We could serve a "no-cache" header, but this would need to be checked
> performance-wise, as it would cause a lot of extra load on the server,
> and we don't want it on the release announcement day.

Sure, but it doesn't sound applicable anyway. Maybe we can stick with a
quick answer to users that just need to reload the website. Furthermore
it's only the case for website changes - and these are not that often.

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/28/2015 07:46 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 27/10/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> OK, 20:00 CET will work too. So we aim at releasing Wednesday 20:00
>> CET, or
>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151028T20&p1=37
>>

> Here's a status update. The following resources have been updated (not
> by me! there are at least 10 people involved, I'm merely gathering
> information) in the last 24 hours:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.2/source/
> (source repository)
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.2/binaries/
> (binaries repository, now "unstaged" on SourceForge)

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

This is now serving AOO 4.1.2 as default download. I've done a quick
test with Linux 64-bit German and OS X English(US). All gave me an AOO
4.1.2 file.

I'll now go and update the localized dowload websites.

> http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
> http://openoffice.apache.org/
> http://openoffice.apache.org/doap_openoffice.rdf
> (source downloads, official project records)
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin.html
> (updated security information)
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
>
> (Release Notes available in 6 languages)
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Announcement
> (Release Announcement: a copy is ready on the blog, a shorter text-only
> version at the same page is ready to be sent by mail; of course, this
> will be done AFTER the site is updated)
>
> Regards,
> Andrea.

Ciao

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus wrote:
> Unfortunately not. Currently there is a good chance that I need to work
> longer and I need a bit to arrive at home, so 20:00 CET would be better.

OK, 20:00 CET will work too. So we aim at releasing Wednesday 20:00 CET, or

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151028T20&p1=37

if people want to see it in their timezone.

In the above sentence "Releasing" means "Updating the download pages on
http://www.openoffice.org so that they offer version 4.1.2". Other steps
will be done before that moment, while all announcements will obviously
be sent shortly after the update.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/27/2015 12:26 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The 4.1.2 folder now contain en-US only and is set to be "staged". If
>> there are no big surprises and if propagation is still smooth as it was
>> for the en-US test, the release is only 24-48 hours away.
>
> For the record, everything worked fine. Files are now all available on
> SourceForge (in hidden, or "staged", form). Technically, this means we
> could start serving version 4.1.2 right now: it's enough to publish the
> files and apply the download page changes.

wow, that went really fast. :-)

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/26/2015 10:47 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 26/10/2015 Marcus wrote:
>> nice plan, haven't seen this before - but maybe I've just overlooked the
>> link in previous mails.
>
> (Note: our messages crossed, so I had some wrong information in my
> previous mail). Yes, the page has been there for a while, with regular
> updates. Actually you got even credited since it is based on your
> earlier work on release planning pages!

ah, nice to know :-)

>>> 1) Preparing Release Notes. I've already updated
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
>>>
>>> but it still needs work. I can take care of it.
>> Do you mean some more translations or specific things in the English
>> text?
>
> No, I meant that most of it was still generic text, which I have now
> replaced with 4.1.2-specific information.
>
>>> 2) Upload to mirrors. Does anyone know how to copy files to SF, and how
>>> long it takes? If it is a lengthy operation I'd rather start it soon. If
>>> anyone is available, please step forward.
>> Juergen has done this in the past (IMHO). So, maybe he tell you at least
>> if it was a slow task.
>
> OK. I thought you had done it. But I've now logged in on SourceForge and
> I see that several OpenOffice PMC members have access, including you,
> me, Juergen, Herbert, Gavin and others. So maybe I can simply start
> copying the files myself.

Until now there are no real blockers and no veto vote. So, starting the
upload now shouldn't be wrong.

I remember that it's possible to set a staging bit at SourceForge for
the new 4.1.2 directory. Then it is not yet visible for the world and
nobody would see that is deleted again - if you see the need for
uploading again or new files.

>>> 3) Preparing the website. ...
>> Right, I've prepared already the main website locally. The localized
>> websites will come next. I can do the production update in the evening
>> hours (European time).
>
> Good, thanks!

With regards to this I've updated the release schedule.

>>> 5) Enabling update notifications for 4.1.1. This can come gradually.
>> To keep the download peak and therefore the load in the first days a bit
>> lower, IMHO it's better to enable them a bit splitted - e.g., the
>> Windows builds 1 week after the release, everything else 2 weeks after
>> the release.
>
> I agree. Priority should go to the English website, then localized
> websites, then updates (actually, there isn't a big difference between
> enabling updates for Windows and enabling them for all operating systems).

OK, then we have the chance to differenciate between the languages to
stretch the notifications over 2 weeks.

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 26/10/2015 Marcus wrote:
> nice plan, haven't seen this before - but maybe I've just overlooked the
> link in previous mails.

(Note: our messages crossed, so I had some wrong information in my
previous mail). Yes, the page has been there for a while, with regular
updates. Actually you got even credited since it is based on your
earlier work on release planning pages!

>> 1) Preparing Release Notes. I've already updated
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
>> but it still needs work. I can take care of it.
> Do you mean some more translations or specific things in the English text?

No, I meant that most of it was still generic text, which I have now
replaced with 4.1.2-specific information.

>> 2) Upload to mirrors. Does anyone know how to copy files to SF, and how
>> long it takes? If it is a lengthy operation I'd rather start it soon. If
>> anyone is available, please step forward.
> Juergen has done this in the past (IMHO). So, maybe he tell you at least
> if it was a slow task.

OK. I thought you had done it. But I've now logged in on SourceForge and
I see that several OpenOffice PMC members have access, including you,
me, Juergen, Herbert, Gavin and others. So maybe I can simply start
copying the files myself.

>> 3) Preparing the website. ...
> Right, I've prepared already the main website locally. The localized
> websites will come next. I can do the production update in the evening
> hours (European time).

Good, thanks!

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
John D'Orazio wrote:
> That last URL does announce 4.1.2 but the url itself points to
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/announcing_apache_openoffice_4_11 ...

Well, the URL is a URL. It is automatically generated by our
not-so-modern blogging platform, the _11 at the end is a mere
coincidence. But I recommend, for clarity, to always use the short URL:
http://s.apache.org/announcing-openoffice-412
since at least that one can be chosen so that it is descriptive.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/28/2015 11:14 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> IMHO we should stop to promote this old "other.html" webpage and also
>> delete it from the blog post.
>
> Done. I still see it useful to have a list of languages in table format,

OK, ACK. Do you think a ordered list of languages and platforms can
provide the same overview?

> but if this simplifies the site management I won't oppose for sure!

I've done no extra work for "other.html" but if something in the future
will change and the webpage is incomplete or broken, I won't fix it anymore.

> Updated post (same URL): http://s.apache.org/announcing-openoffice-412

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/28/2015 01:04 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> A very basic announcement is now available at
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Announcement
>
> For a complete list of available languages and language packs see:
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

first of all sorry that I'm late with this:

Do you see a value add for the users to go to this webpage and search
for their favorite row/column combination? All platforms and languages
and therefore also the overview can be seen in the drop-down-boxes of
the main download webpage - plus all versions, the related release notes
and the checksum files.

All without a need to scroll. ;-)

IMHO we should stop to promote this old "other.html" webpage and also
delete it from the blog post. And on the long-run delete the complete
webpage.

Marcus

RE: Pending release tasks

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
[ ... ]
> A very basic announcement is now available at
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Announcem
> ent
>
> Feel free to edit/improve. Dennis, if you would like to add a quote as
> new Chair of course just go ahead and add it there.
[orcmid]

+1 looks good to me as it is.

I made two adjustments.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Pending release tasks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> 1) Preparing Release Notes. I've already updated
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
> but it still needs work. I can take care of it.

I'm now done with describing the main content of the release at the URL
above. Edits by Keith or other native speakers or anyone else are
clearly welcome. This is the version to be used for translations. I'll
now send a note to the l10n list.

> 2) Upload to mirrors. Does anyone know how to copy files to SF, and how
> long it takes? If it is a lengthy operation I'd rather start it soon. If
> anyone is available, please step forward.

This is our next step. Marcus, did you take care of this for 4.1.1? I
have no idea how to do this, but it is important to start populating
SourceForge, since I expect it may take 24-48 hours. RC3 is the version
to be copied: declaring the vote successful is, in this respect, a
technicality that I will take care of. Packages are at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/ (this is an svn URL,
not only a web URL), but if it is handier to grab them from elsewhere I
have copies on a few servers (all with verifiable checksums of course).
Just ask in case.

> 3) Preparing the website. It's better if our many JS files are updated
> by someone who is familiar with them, but it looks like this time we
> won't have structural changes, so a simple change 4.1.1 -> 4.1.2 may
> suffice, we won't need a lot of testing.

Now that I recall, Marcus wrote that the best moment is in the evening
(Europe time), right? Depending on step 2 above, this can be scheduled
for any of the next evenings.

> 4) Preparing a short press release. Nothing really big, something like
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/announcing_apache_openoffice_4_1 can
> be OK, or something more elaborate if we manage to put together a few
> quotes (after all, it has been a while since 4.1.1, so a new release is
> significant news).

This is probably just a proof-read/enhanced copy of
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes
plus a quote by Dennis as Chair and by one of the new developers.

> 5) Enabling update notifications for 4.1.1. This can come gradually.

For the record, the resource that needs to be updated is
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/updates-site/trunk/
and it can be done on a per-language, per-version basis; so I don't
expect to enable it immediately for all users.

Regards,
   Andrea.