Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by rohit sinha <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/13 07:09:27 UTC

Propose Adding Authorization to CDAP through Ranger

Hello,

I will like to contribute to Ranger to provide Authorization in CDAP with
Ranger as policy backend. I was hoping to open a Jira issue for this and
add relevant details to propose this integration but due to Jira lockdown I
am not able to create a new Jira. I will really appreciate if a
PMC/committer etc can help me in opening a jira for this and assign it to
me. Also, is there any contribution guidelines to be followed while adding
support for new services ? Besides the general contribution guidelines
found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55151244

Here's some details about CDAP:

Cask Data Application Platform (CDAP) is an integrated, open source
application development platform for the Hadoop ecosystem that provides
developers with data and application abstractions to simplify and
accelerate application development, address a broader range of real-time
and batch use cases, and deploy applications into production while
satisfying enterprise requirements.

CDAP has different hierarchical entities such as namespaces, streams,
datasets, programs etc.
http://docs.cask.co/cdap/current/en/developers-manual/building-blocks/index.html

Recently, authorization capabilities has been added in CDAP to manage
access to different entities. It has a general authorization framework
which can be integrated with different authorization backend. It also has
an integration with Apache Sentry and I am interested in integrating with
Apache Ranger.
A design doc for authorization framework of CDAP can be found here:
https://wiki.cask.co/display/CE/Authorization+-+CDAP+3.4

More details about CDAP:
1. http://cdap.io/
2. https://github.com/caskdata/cdap
3. http://docs.cask.co/cdap/current/en/index.html
4. www.cask.co

Thanks,
Rohit Sinha

Re: Propose Adding Authorization to CDAP through Ranger

Posted by rohit sinha <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello Don,
Thanks for your help.

I have opened a jira https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-986 to
track this integration.

I will like to to know if there is a policy to propose a design or I can
get started with the implementation itself.

Thanks.

Thanks,
Rohit Sinha

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.