Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/02/11 00:36:26 UTC

[All] Build fails because of "animal-sniffer"

Hi.

Using CP 43, and JDK 9, the command
  $ mvn test
fails, seemingly because of "animal-sniffer"[1].
Indeed, running
  $ mvn -Danimal.sniffer.skip=true test
lets the build proceed successfully.

Gilles

[1] Error message is similar to the one reported here:
      https://github.com/mojohaus/animal-sniffer/issues/29

Re: [All] Build fails because of "animal-sniffer"

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:56:07 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 11 February 2018 at 01:19, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 00:46:23 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> Works fine for me.
>>

>> Does it work in a project that contains "module-info.java"
>> files?
>
> The one I tried it on does not have such a file, but I don't see that
> mentioned in the original message.
> Indeed the subject is prefixed [All] so it appears to apply to all
> components.

See link below (in quoted preceding post), that mentions
"module-info.java".
Indeed I suspect that it applies to all component since
the referred functionality is inherited from CP 43.

> If you want help, you will need to provide more info on exactly what
> you tried, and what went wrong.

As I've already posted about[1], I'm trying to verify
that a component, purporting to be Java 9 compatible,
is indeed so.  That means more than being compilable
by the "javac" shipped with JDK 9.

This post is one of a series of problems encountered
on that road.

Although I've never used either yet, it seems to me
that ensuring the creation of a module (as per JPMS)
requires the same kind of checks as for ensuring
proper OSGi configuration (even if the actual tests
are going to be different).
As Jochen mentioned (cf. issue with [compress]), the
checks/tests/fixes should be useful (and probably
necessary) for [All].

Gilles

[1] http://markmail.org/message/my3enyxnn6quifzs

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.