Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sean Russell <se...@gsk.com> on 2003/05/21 18:59:03 UTC

LDAP authentication, strange server behavior.

Hi y'all,

I'm observing some behavior that is giving me trouble; I think I have a
solution, but I'm curious about the possible causes of the problem, and think
that the issue may be of interest to SVN developers.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that I have a repository that won't allow
access to users authenticated with LDAP, but will allow authentication with
other mod_auth Apache modules.  The curious thing about this situation is
that LDAP authentication /does/ work for (some) other repositories running in
the same server instance.

The repository giving me trouble is one that I've been lugging around for over
a year, and it has survived numerous DB upgrades.  I didn't dump/load it for
the my most recent Subversion upgrade (0.21.0), because it didn't seem
necessary.

Attempts to use LDAP authentication against the "old" repository results in
client-side messages of:

	svn ci -m "" build.xml
	ser's password:
	username: ser
	ser's password:
	svn: Authorization failed
	svn: Commit failed (details follow):
	svn: OPTIONS request failed on /svn/repos/rexml/branches/3.0
	svn: OPTIONS of /svn/repos/rexml/branches/3.0: authorization failed

and server-side messages of:

	user ser not found: /svn/repos/!svn/act/8dcaa690-2dbe-0310-bdb9-d8d87bbec96c

As I've said, if I change the Apache config to use basic htpasswd
authentication, I can access the repository normally -- that is, perform
restricted actions -- and if I create /new/ repositories, I'm able to
authenticate with LDAP for them.

I've narrowed this down to being a difference between the BerkeleyDB
repositories themselves, by process of elimination: the only difference in
the apache configurations for the new and old repositories is the SVNPath
(and the <Location>).  Both repositories are running in the same server
instance.  The user and group ownerships and permissions on all files and
directories in both repositories is the same.

The only thing I haven't tried (yet) is a dump/load -- which, BTW, I suspect
will solve the problem.  However, I'm curious about the source of this
problem -- this looks entirely like a DB issue, and I'm surprised that
authentication issues are affecting (or being affected by) things at the DB
layer.

Thanks,

--- SER

Re: LDAP authentication, strange server behavior.

Posted by Mukund <mu...@tessna.com>.
| will solve the problem.  However, I'm curious about the source of this
| problem -- this looks entirely like a DB issue, and I'm surprised that
| authentication issues are affecting (or being affected by) things at the DB
| layer.

Can you add the httpd.conf file and any other .htaccess files which are
involved for the repository location to your report?

Mukund

Re: LDAP authentication, strange server behavior.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:22:28PM -0400, Sean E. Russell wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 15:15, Sander Striker wrote:
> > > The only thing I haven't tried (yet) is a dump/load -- which, BTW, I
> > > suspect will solve the problem.  However, I'm curious about the source of
> > Dumping and loading won't make any difference whatsoever.  This sounds like
> > a misconfig of httpd.
>
> You're right.  I'm still not sure why, but changing the <Location> path made
> it work, so at this point I'm assuming it is an Apache configuration issue.
> I have no idea why one authentication mechanism works while the other fails,
> when both work on other repositories on the same server.

I've seen problems where a person's docroot contains one or more of the path
elements in the repository's Location path.

For example:

<Location /repos/svn>
</Location>

If you have a repos/svn/ directory in your docroot, then funny things can
happen. I think just a repos/ will be fine.

But take a look. See if your old (borken) location had a mapping elsewhere
in your config or within the docroot. That may have been the problem.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: LDAP authentication, strange server behavior.

Posted by "Sean E. Russell" <se...@germane-software.com>.

> The only thing I haven't tried (yet) is a dump/load -- which, BTW, I suspect
> will solve the problem.  However, I'm curious about the source of this
> problem -- this looks entirely like a DB issue, and I'm surprised that
> authentication issues are affecting (or being affected by) things at the DB
> layer.

Dumping and loading won't make any difference whatsoever.  This sounds like
a misconfig of httpd.

Sander