Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by an...@cohsoft.com.au on 2009/08/03 11:27:37 UTC

EftAccount versus new entity

I'm trying to work out the best way to get OFBiz to support Australian direct-entry payments. This is where a customer makes a payment by directly transferring the money to the company's bank account, usually via online banking. This is currently a very common payment method.

The same system is also used to allow a company to debit regular payments directly from the customer's bank account, or for the company to pay its bills.

For storing the relevant bank details, the EftAccount entity seems to be closest. However it is not a good match. I am unsure whether my best approach would be to use the existing EftAccount entity in some way, or to create a new entity.

The fields that are relevant to Australian transactions are:

BSB: a number denoting which branch of which bank
Account number: the account number
Account name: the name (person or organisation) associated with the bank account
SWIFT code: a code denoting which bank - this is only relevant when one of the banks involved in the transaction is outside Australia, e.g. the customer is paying from an overseas bank account.
Bank name: not usually needed, but handy to record

Some of these fields map to the existing EftAccount entity, some don't:

Account name -> nameOnAccount
Account number -> accountNumber
BSB -> ? (perhaps routingNumber? I don't know what routingNumber is really for)
SWIFT code -> ?
Bank name -> bankName

What approach is likely to be the best option?

Also, I'll need to add support for a new payment gateway to support an Australian provider. It would be nice if all I had to do was create the payment gateway interface code, following the examples for the other third party gateways, and then somehow it all just magically fitted together and worked with the existing code. Is this asking too much? :-)

Cheers,
Anne.

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Re: EftAccount versus new entity

Posted by Anne Jessel <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Thank you Scott, Hans.

I do intend to contribute the code, provided I can work out how to write it
in a general enough way that it is useful.

After reading about the routing number via Scott's reference, I think it is
close enough in concept to a BSB number (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_State_Branch) that it would make sense to
use that field. I could probably ignore the SWIFT code for now - the
existing functionality does not seem to support transactions between two
countries (unless I looked in the wrong places), so leaving it out wouldn't
reduce existing functionality.

I still need to work out how to hook it into the existing invoice payments
system, so I think it'll be a while before I have anything functional.

Cheers,
Anne.

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773
Cheltenham Vic 3192
Phone: (03) 9585 6788
Fax: (03) 9585 1086
Web: http://www.cohsoft.com.au/
Email: sales@cohsoft.com.au

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: EftAccount versus new entity

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Anne,

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates