Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/01/22 14:52:57 UTC

Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Ok, now that I know what Robert meant with 'promotions' I want to give
you my impressions.

1) I've been talking about this 'CVS for XML' on the Xindice-dev mail
list. Check the mail archives

 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xindice-dev&r=1&w=2

2) I believe that a KMS *must* have the ability to do version control
and workflow management. Integrated. The two together, give you
'promotions'.

3) CVS is not enough.

4) Subversion is *much* better (http://subversion.tigris.org) but still
is 'file' based, an XML-based KMS needs 'node-granular' versioning
metadata

My dream KMS architecture is something like this:

     [frontend] - [CMS] - [backend]

                 [store]

where cocoon powers both 'frontend' and 'backend', CMS wraps around an
native XML database and provides versioning, access control, transparent
query filtering and all the required things. 'store' is implemented with
a mix of 'native XML databases' and 'relational databases' (depending on
the needs, still I haven't designed the whole concept, but I'm not sure
that a native XML DB is capable of doing everything without serious
performance degradation).

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Punky Tse <pu...@yahoo.com>.

> I picture a web-based frontend as well as a web-based backend.
>
> Cocoon powers the backend just like it powers the frondend: serving the
> pages.
>
> Sure, you might not need the 'full' cocoon potentials on the back end
> (but to provide previews or completely WYSIWYG inline-editing, you do!)
> but I see the backend as an-editing oriented web(dav?) application on
> top of Cocoon.
>
> (yes, it's piece of cacke to add WebDAV functionality to Cocoon
> directly, it's just a bunch of new HTTP actions and some XML content,
> not a big deal for our machinery)

And, the backend can be written as cocoon-based app, mozilla-based app, java
app, Cocoa app or even Win32 MFC app!

I see that the backend is mainly used by content producers: they are
producer, editor and designer.  Each of them has a specific role.  For
example, editor writes the whole or partial content, the designer provides
graphics and style for the presentation, and the producer merges the content
from various editors, reject some of them, prove-read and assign style for
the final presentation.  Hence, the backend system must present such logic
for this kind of workflow.

But which one provides workflow?  Of course, it is the CMS.  Hence, the
backend provides "frontend" to the content producers, while frontend
provides presentation to content consumers (viewers).

A clear picture now.

> Also, consider things like having editors down in Afganistan feeding
> their news via Palm connected to satellite cell-phones (UTMS anyone?),
> having their directors approuve the news while they are on an airplane,
> with the ability to annotate things directly on the page and without
> requiring any specific software to be installed on either client.
>
> See the need for cocoon on the backend? :)

I see, not only cocoon, but more!!

> <st...@apache.org>                             Friedrich Nietzsche

- Punky

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2002 13:55, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > . . .
> > (yes, it's piece of cacke to add WebDAV functionality to Cocoon
> > directly, it's just a bunch of new HTTP actions and some XML content,
> > not a big deal for our machinery)
>
> Wow - do you mean WebDAV retrieval AND storage?

Of course. WebDAV without storage is HTTP and we already support that
(in case you didn't know :)

> I assume versioning would be much harder, though?

It would not be handled by Cocoon, but by the underlying CMS (via some
strong contract, possibly a java API)

Another option is to have Subversion taking care of this (on the side of
Cocoon, so webdav PUT/updates are just redirected), but I don't think
subversion is powerful enough for what I have in mind (node-granular
versioning and access control, fast xpath/xquery, etc..)

and given the amount of time it takes, I think the best solution is a
java engine (read: Xindice)... but that's just my opinion.

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>On Thursday 24 January 2002 13:55, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>. . .
>>(yes, it's piece of cacke to add WebDAV functionality to Cocoon
>>directly, it's just a bunch of new HTTP actions and some XML content,
>>not a big deal for our machinery)

I am highly interested in the complete design of such an extension; I am
still looking forward to use Cocoon/WebDAV as a basis for personalized
virtual harddisks, eg. as personal work environments, allowing every
user to personalize their view on the content structure. Yet trying to
extend Cocoon to be a solid designed basis for a virtual WebDAV storage
which contains dynamically-generated contents gave me some major headaches.

Issues I came across were things like the requirement of browsability of
directories (called collections in WebDAV), adequate ways to allow for
generation and filtering of directory "browse-lists" or proper
integration into the sitemap without allowing "ooops-its-no-more-WebDAV"
misconfigurations; it was then when I started drooling for the sitemap
componentization and being able to mount sub-"sitemaps" based on other
languages/concepts/etc.

>Wow - do you mean WebDAV retrieval AND storage?
>I assume versioning would be much harder, though?

Basically, when you have managed to provide WebDAV services via Cocoon
in a clean manner, then versioning is not that hard anymore; you'd still
have to think about versioning-capable storage backends.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug GbR

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>>Wow - do you mean WebDAV retrieval AND storage?
>>I assume versioning would be much harder, though?
>>
>WebDAV doesn't do versioning. "There is no V, only the appearance of a V".

There are WebDAV-related extensions that try to tackle versioning, like
DeltaV or the like.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug GbR

Rendering a jsp : JSP it compiled 3 times -> performance problem

Posted by Kai Ulrich <ul...@pnpconsult.com>.
If I want to render a JSP (Struts Tags) with cocoon !
Everything works fine !
1. A servlet arrange the data an puts the beans to the request.
2. forward to the coocoon Servlet
	RequestDispatcher rd =
etServletContext().getRequestDispatcher( "/cocoon/printBasket" );
	rd.forward( req, res );

	[web.xml]
	<!-- Cocoon Servlet Mapping -->
  	<servlet-mapping>
    		<servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
    		<url-pattern>/cocoon/*</url-pattern>
  	</servlet-mapping>

3. piped to the print.jsp

   [sitemap.xmap]
   <map:match pattern="cocoon/printBasket">
    <map:generate type="jsp" src="print/printBasket.jsp"/>
    <map:transform src="stylesheets/print2fo.xsl"/>
    <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
   </map:match>

But I have a little performance Pronblem:
- One thing attracted attention : By the executing the pipe, the JSP it
compiled 3 times and the servlet  is executed 2 more times!
Is that usual ? Can I do thome thing to get a better performance ?

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2002 13:55, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > . . .
> > (yes, it's piece of cacke to add WebDAV functionality to Cocoon
> > directly, it's just a bunch of new HTTP actions and some XML content,
> > not a big deal for our machinery)
>
> Wow - do you mean WebDAV retrieval AND storage?
> I assume versioning would be much harder, though?

WebDAV doesn't do versioning. "There is no V, only the appearance of a V".

:-)

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->Get a smart net</:->

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Thursday 24 January 2002 13:55, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> . . .
> (yes, it's piece of cacke to add WebDAV functionality to Cocoon
> directly, it's just a bunch of new HTTP actions and some XML content,
> not a big deal for our machinery)

Wow - do you mean WebDAV retrieval AND storage?
I assume versioning would be much harder, though?

- Bertrand

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>.
> > > My dream KMS architecture is something like this:
> > >
> > >      [frontend] - [CMS] - [backend]
> > >                  [store]
> > >
> > > where cocoon powers both 'frontend' and 'backend', CMS wraps around an
> > > native XML database and provides versioning, access control,
transparent
> > > query filtering and all the required things. 'store' is implemented
with
> > > a mix of 'native XML databases' and 'relational databases' (depending
on
> > > the needs, still I haven't designed the whole concept, but I'm not
sure
> > > that a native XML DB is capable of doing everything without serious
> > > performance degradation).

What about slide?  It has most of the above features.

/Per-Olof

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Punky Tse <pu...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow (yahoogroups, CMS use-cases)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Thursday 24 January 2002 14:10, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> . .
>
> Ok, subscribed there. (god, yet another mail list :(

Note that I just posted to general@xml.apache.org about the possibility of
creating a "CMS requirements" project under the Apache umbrella.

There seems to be quite a lot of interest about getting a CMS project going,
and agreement about the need to write requirements first (well, isn't that a
good idea ;-)

- Bertrand

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow (yahoogroups, CMS use-cases)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Note that we're starting to have an interesting discussion about CMS
> requirements over at yahoogroups
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contentmanagementgroup/).

Ok, subscribed there. (god, yet another mail list :(

Matt, maybe we could move there the discussion we had in mind about
abstracting the 'publishing framework' (gosh, the Wyona guys call it
'pipeline systems', we need to tight those bolts :)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Note that we're starting to have an interesting discussion about CMS
requirements over at yahoogroups
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contentmanagementgroup/).

Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a set of use cases and requirements
for a CMS.

- Bertrand

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>Michael Hartle wrote:
>
>>I tried it, but IIRC, I got caching problems, thus I wrote the
>>UnzipGenerator.
>>

>Care to share? :)

Definitely ;) My workload should soon return to more normal levels,
giving me the opportunity to put it in a nice donation package with a
not-polished-but-functional Documentum DocbaseSource plus some developer
& user-documentation.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug GbR

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Michael Hartle wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >Michael Hartle wrote:

> >>Just a thought, why not rather turn it into a cvs protocol ? It would
> >>then allow everyone to choose generators as they wish; I recently hacked
> >>an UnzipGenerator and enjoyed combining it with another protocol ;)
> >>

> >Agreed, a cvs: protocol handler would be even better.
> >
> >anyway, why an UnzipGenerator? doesn't the jar: protocol already does
> >that?
> >
> I tried it, but IIRC, I got caching problems, thus I wrote the
> UnzipGenerator.

Care to share? :)

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > I recently hacked
> > an UnzipGenerator and enjoyed combining it with another protocol ;)
>
> Hm... How about ZipSerializer? ;)

Careful: if you want to provide 'compressed' version of out output, then
I think that servlet filtering is the way to go (tomcat comes with a
GzipFilter, doesn't it?)

on the other hand, if you want to provide import/export of OpenOffice
files (or any zipped archive) I'd suggest to create a specific
serializer and not a generic ZipSerializer which might be seriouly
misleading in the filtering direction.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Michael Hartle [mailto:mhartle@hartle-klug.com]
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >Hey, what about ripping out the NetBeans CVS Protocol library (which
is
> >legally compatible with us, unlike the JCVS library) and use that to
> >write a generator?
> >
> Just a thought, why not rather turn it into a cvs protocol ? It would
> then allow everyone to choose generators as they wish;

I agree with you completely.

> I recently hacked
> an UnzipGenerator and enjoyed combining it with another protocol ;)

Hm... How about ZipSerializer? ;)

Vadim

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

CVS, RE: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch]
>

> CvsGeneratorUsingCvsTagsToRetrieveVersions, anyone?

CVSSource sounds better... Check out jCVS - might be of great help...
(http://www.trustice.com/java/jcvs/)

Vadim

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Andrew Answer wrote:

> Hello Stefano,
>
>   you know anything about Perl-written CVS-integrated collaboration
>   system Twiki (http://twiki.org/) and his Java servlet-based analogue
>   WebTrans (http://sourceforge.net/projects/webtrans/,
>   http://www.devtools.org/servlet/wiki/FrontPage), written by Rus
>   Heywood? May be this code can be integrated into C2...
>   Importance of this system in new ideas area. You can see to the site from
>   other point of view: as "collaboration system" instead of "publishing
>   engine" - i think, two-sided streams of data is a future of
>   web-world...
>
>   Now i try programming something link between systems, but i have too
>   little exp for fast work. Listen your comments...

A better place to start would be Bricolage at http://bricolage.sf.net/,
which is built on the experiences of the guys who built the Salon CMS.
It's Perl, but it's got some extremely solid ideas.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->Get a smart net</:->

Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow

Posted by Andrew Answer <A....@ftc.ru>.
Hello Stefano,