Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by pl...@lanminds.com on 2003/07/11 00:30:40 UTC

Rev number format [was Re: Subversion 0.25.0 released ]

In a message dated: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:18:57 PDT
Blair Zajac said:

>The /tags are the only consistent place where the .0 is dropped.

>We can always rename the tags in /tags, to get everything consistent.

Is it worth the effort?  Every tag from 0.10-0.25 is 0.XX, not 0.XX.0
(i.e. there's 15 of them :)

Or, should we just establish some policy going forward (in
releases.txt?) that the official rev number format is X.YY.Z
and start with 0.26.0?
--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: Rev number format [was Re: Subversion 0.25.0 released ]

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Daniel Patterson wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 12:40, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > Well, it would be very easy to do.  Just one minute with several
> > svn mv's.  The pedantic side of me says, get them all consistent.
> > I can do this if nobody objects.
>
>   Is changing the name of a tag heading down the same path as changing
>   the contents of a tag?  Tags are supposed to be immutable, I'm not
>   sure that they should be renamed (i.e. what about stuff that's
>   already out there that refers to existing tags?)

I don't think too many references are currently made to the tag
URLs.  The CHANGES files uses branches/, not tags/.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: Rev number format [was Re: Subversion 0.25.0 released ]

Posted by pl...@lanminds.com.

  Daniel> Is changing the name of a tag heading down the same path as
  Daniel> changing the contents of a tag?  Tags are supposed to be
  Daniel> immutable, I'm not sure that they should be renamed (i.e.
  Daniel> what about stuff that's already out there that refers to
  Daniel> existing tags?)

  Blair> I don't think too many references are currently made to the
  Blair> tag URLs.  The CHANGES files uses branches/, not tags/.

I don't think in this case, it's something to worry about.  As Blair
mentioned, tags are 'just there' no one is really referencing them,
AFAIK.  And I don't think anyone is going to get too confused if we
just tack a .0 on 15 directory names.

The only possible confusion might be if some one had a wc they
checked out from a tag that was X.YY which changes to X.YY.0, and
they needed to check out that same tag to another location or
something.  In which case, using the URL they initially had will
fail, they'll do an svn ls URL, and hopefully make the mental leap
that they need to add a .0 :)

(this is where symlinks in a repo would be really neat.  You could
have a single tree with several different names :)

Posted by Daniel Patterson <da...@adaptiveinternational.com>.
On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 12:40, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Well, it would be very easy to do.  Just one minute with several
> svn mv's.  The pedantic side of me says, get them all consistent.
> I can do this if nobody objects.

  Is changing the name of a tag heading down the same path as changing
  the contents of a tag?  Tags are supposed to be immutable, I'm not
  sure that they should be renamed (i.e. what about stuff that's
  already out there that refers to existing tags?)

daniel

Re: Rev number format [was Re: Subversion 0.25.0 released ]

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.