Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/09/01 07:12:35 UTC

Re: org.netbeans name prefix for artifacts and Java packages

El 23/08/2018 a las 14:27, Jan Lahoda escribió:
> 23. srpna 2018 13:37:23 SELČ, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> napsal:
>> [...]
>> If there are strong reasons for NetBeans to keep using org.netbeans in
>> places (after an understandable transition phase) those should be
>> listed somewhere so a discussion can begin.
>
> IIRC, we already had such discussion at least partially. One quite strong reason to keep package and also module names is compatibility: there is a lot of existing code using these names.

That's a strong reason to keep using org.netbeans, IMHO, at least during
a transition phase.

So what about releasing Maven artifacts under _both_ "org.netbeans" and
"org.apache.netbeans" during a transition phase? Is that possible?

After that transition phase, the "lots of existing code" are expected to
move to "org.apache.netbeans", and we can then deprecate "org.netbeans".

Cheers,
Antonio