Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Santosh Marella <sm...@maprtech.com> on 2015/11/30 21:42:33 UTC

Merges to Myriad master branch

Hello All,

  As we are in the middle of IPMC voting to release myriad-0.1.0, I request
the committers to hold off merging any *major* PRs to the "master" branch.

 The current RC has been tested well for the features that went into it.
Just in case we receive more feedback from IPMC, we want the "master"
branch to stay as close to current RC as possible so that when we cut a new
RC with IPMC's feedback, we don't need to worry too much about the
stability of the new RC.

Thanks,
Santosh

Re: Merges to Myriad master branch

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Same tag approach works for 0.1.1 too.
git checkout 0.1.0 (we'd tag the official 0.1.0 release too)
git cherry-pick ...
git tag 0.1.1-rc1
git push --tags

Of course, I'm not mandating this, just proposing an option based on how
Mesos does it.

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
For some reason, Mesos only uses tags, not branches, presumably because we
don't want to have to manage merging between a feature/release branches.
Everything goes into master, so we tag an rc1 from master, cherry-pick on
top of that, then tag an rc2.
git checkout 0.1.0-rc1 (checks out the tag, not a branch)
git cherry-pick deadbeef facebead ...
git tag 0.1.0-rc2
git push --tags

Myriad could certainly do it differently, but we shouldn't be cutting rc's
from master after the first one. It should either go into a 0.1.0-rc? set
of tags, or a 0.1.x branch. Then a follow-up 0.1.1 could be based on the
tag/branch, but a 0.2.0-rc1 would be a new cut from master.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santosh Marella <sm...@maprtech.com>.
Thanks Adam. If there is a way to cherry pick and apply commits to tags (as
opposed to branches), we should probably do that. I will read more about it.

Santosh

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.