Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bradley G Smith/R6/USDAFS <bg...@fs.fed.us> on 2002/02/13 19:35:03 UTC

Solution (was Re: Tomcat 4.0.2 Fails to Start)

The problem turned out to be missing jars. The installation was done using
Henri's rpm-based install. Somehow the symlinks to xerces, regexp, and the
servletapi were not placed in the proper tomcat4 directories. Once I did
these manually, the following error disappeared. I also found that I needed
to add a link to tools.jar in ../tomcat4/common/lib for JSP's to work.

Brad Smith

                    "Bradley G
                    Smith/R6/USDA        To:     "Tomcat Users List"
                    FS"                  <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
                    <bgsmith01@fs        cc:
                    .fed.us>             Subject:     Tomcat 4.0.2 Fails to Start

                    12-02-02
                    14:36
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "Tomcat Users
                    List"

I installed the recent tomcat 4.0.2 rpms on a system which had a
functioning tomcat 4.0.1 system (also installed from rpms). When I tried to
restart tomcat I get the following error:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/IBMJava2-13
Using CLASSPATH:
:/opt/IBMJava2-13/jre/lib/rt.jar:/var/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
Bootstrap: Class loader creation threw exception
java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or directory
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:111)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:121)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:88)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateJarFile(ClassLoaderFactory.java:319)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(ClassLoaderFactory.java:242)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:144)

Something changed and after spending most of a day trying various options,
I have not been successful at finding a solution. Can someone suggest a
fix? Or the correct paragraph in the documentation to read? Or even the
correct document?

Thanks,

Brad Smith

Re: Solution (was Re: Tomcat 4.0.2 Fails to Start)

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> The problem turned out to be missing jars. The installation was done using
> Henri's rpm-based install. Somehow the symlinks to xerces, regexp, and the
> servletapi were not placed in the proper tomcat4 directories. Once I did
> these manually, the following error disappeared. I also found that I
needed
> to add a link to tools.jar in ../tomcat4/common/lib for JSP's to work.

If you think it's a bug with the RPM packages, please file a bug.

Remy