Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2004/04/02 00:31:46 UTC

Re: Something after RequestProcessor adding extra / to URL? (was: URL validation)

> So I'm pretty sure there is no / after example.com, but what I see in
> the browser is:
>
> http://www.example.com/?user=0123456
>
> Does anyone know where the extra '/' is coming from, or if it matters at
> all?

Now that I take a second look at it, I think it's possible that the browser
is the one adding the "/" after the "http://www.example.com".  Have you tried
this with different browsers and different versions?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Hubert Rabago wrote:

>>So I'm pretty sure there is no / after example.com, but what I see in
>>the browser is:
>>
>>http://www.example.com/?user=0123456
>>
>>Does anyone know where the extra '/' is coming from, or if it matters at
>>all?
>>

>Now that I take a second look at it, I think it's possible that the browser
>is the one adding the "/" after the "http://www.example.com".  Have you tried
>this with different browsers and different versions?

It is actually the server doing this, not the browser.

Both Apache's HTTPD server, and Tomcat, when you send them a URL like
"http://www.foo.com" will issue a redirect to "http://www.foo.com/".  In
both cases, this ends up requesting the welcome file -- but the
interesting thing is *why* this is done.  It's to ensure that relative
URLs in the welcome file page are resolved correctly to resources in the
same directory.

FWIW, I'm sure that "http://www.example.com/?user=0123456" is a
perfectly valid URL.  It just happens to have a zero-length path element.

Craig