Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/13 22:23:02 UTC

Possible workflow [was: Re: Proposal for Moving Forward with Documentation]

To start writing the user guide on the Wiki, I propose the following page
structure

/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Guidelines    ← guidelines for Writers
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0     ← Index for the user guide for AOO
4.0, following the proposed TOC.(1) (In a future, we can start with 4_1,
etc.)

Then, each part of the document on different sub-pages

/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/General     ← sub-index for "General
concepts..." chapter
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/General/UI
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/General/Formatting
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/General/Autocorrect
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/Tips     ← sub-index for the "Cheat
sheets" chapter
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/Tips/Writer
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/Tips/Calc
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/Writer     ← sub-index for Writer's guide
/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/4_0/Writer/Intro
and so on.

The idea is to create all the pages at once, with just the categories
"Documentation" and "UserGuide" and a template similar to the one we use on
the ES wiki(2) for "work in process new pages", that we can call "Draft"
(not sure if there is one already: I cannot find it).

In parallel, we can start discussing about writing style, screenshots
(desktop theme...) and related problems on other topics.

After "seeding" some pages with content we start a call for authors and the
"real writing"(3). Finally, when the author is ready he/she calls for
review/proof reading and when every is OK we delete the "Draft" template.

What do you think?

(1)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Details+on+Scenario+3#DetailsonScenario3-ProposedTOC

(2) http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Template:ES/AyudaWiki/Borrador

(3) Related question: any time frame for when dev builds with new UI
elements will be available?

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Possible workflow [was: Re: Proposal for Moving Forward with Documentation]

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Keith N. McKenna
<me...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rob;
>
> There is already a Notes template that could be used for relaying that a
> feature is new and with with what revision. If you look at section 7.2 of
> the Wiki Editing Policy at
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy#List_of_Existing_Documentation_Templates
> there is a list of existing documentation templates and a brief description
> of there use. Many are obsolete, but most are still useable. There is also a
> new one that I have to add to that section that I created for the the FAQ
> merge clean-up. It is {{AOO}} and it expands  to Apache OpenOffice.

OK.  This is good to know.  Thanks!

-Rob

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <me...@yahoo.com>.
Rob;

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/13 Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> RGB ES schrieb:
>
> <snip>
>

> I propose to omit the version number level. As can be seen for ODFAuthors
> it is unlikely, that all documents are new written for a new version and
> sometimes it is not needed at all. LibreOffice 4.0 is in RC1, but some
> documents are for 3.4, some for 3.5, and 3.6 is missing totally. The
> situation becomes worse, if you think of documentations in other languages.
>
> I propose this way: Use a hierarchy
> /wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/**Tips/Writer
> or
> /wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/**Writer/Tips
> I'm not sure about the best order.
>
> If some content becomes outdated and has to be replaced, then generate a
> new page with the same title, but a version addition.
>
> Example: A outdated content in the path
> /wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/**General/UI/Customize_Toolbar
> would be copied to a path
> /wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/**General/UI/Customize_Toolbar_**3_4
> and the original page gets a comment line with a link to the old version
> and the old version gets a comment line back to the newer version.
> This has to be done by the person, who writes the new content.
>
> This has the advantage, that there will be no tree of empty pages, but the
> user will always come to the most actual document, when he starts in
> /wiki/Documentation and follows the tree.

Good point! I like the idea of moving outdated content to sub-pages.

> In the start, when not enough actual content is available, this single
> comment line can link to the existing ODFAuthors 3.3 or 3.2 documents or
> other suitable wiki pages.
>

>> The idea is to create all the pages at once, with just the categories
>> "Documentation" and "UserGuide" and a template similar to the one we use
>> on
>> the ES wiki(2) for "work in process new pages", that we can call "Draft"
>> (not sure if there is one already: I cannot find it).
>>

> Creating a new "UserGuide" section is OK, but same other sections need to
> be there from the beginning too. I think of pathes to the developers guide,
> to the building guide, to the QA tutorials, to the Calc functions reference.

Sure. We can update the main documentation page(1) to gather all those
elements on one place.

(1) http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation

>> In parallel, we can start discussing about writing style, screenshots
>> (desktop theme...) and related problems on other topics.
>>

> There is the page http://wiki.openoffice.org/**
> wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/**Wiki_Editing_Policy<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy>.
> It is already fairly good, and can be used as start. Adaption to AOO is of
> cause needed.

Thanks for the link! Looking there I see that the DraftPage template is
already present: {{Documentation/DraftPage}}

>> After "seeding" some pages with content we start a call for authors and
>> the
>> "real writing"(3). Finally, when the author is ready he/she calls for
>> review/proof reading and when every is OK we delete the "Draft" template.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> I fear, a lot a pages will stay "draft" for ever.
>
> What are your plans about the old Dokumentation hierarchy ?
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/**wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/**
> Wiki_Editing_Policy#Structure_**of_the_Documentation_Section_**of_the_Wiki<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy#Structure_of_the_Documentation_Section_of_the_Wiki>

No plans, for the moment. I just tried to start the discussion for a self
contained 4.0 user guide written from scratch and easy to maintain.

The structure of the Documentation section on the wiki is indeed quite
complex and it is difficult for a new user to tell apart what's still
valid. Maybe we need to make a completely fresh start here, moving old
content to a "legacy" section... but on the other hand we cannot left the
site empty.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Ricardo,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
RGB ES wrote:
> (3) Related question: any time frame for when dev builds with new UI
> elements will be available?

You should CC https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=121420 ; I
see that Andre has checked in code regularly, but still only on the
sidebar branch (which means you should compile it yourself, or wait for
the integration, that will be reported in the issue page).

I believe that Andre will make a sidebar branch build available as soon
as the feature is complete, even before merging to trunk. Our current
snapshot builds are from trunk, i.e., the main code line, and have no
trace of Andre's work so far.

Regards,
   Andrea.