Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca> on 2011/04/03 14:20:47 UTC

a suggestion for documenting one's first jsp/servlet deployment

  again, from a total beginner point of view, i'm now working my way
thru the "deployment" page:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

and there's something that i think would have been spectacularly handy
to have had in the installed tomcat 7 bundle.

  as it is, the bundle comes with sample webapps (both jsp and servlet
format), and while that's great to be able to see some apps in action,
it can actually get in the way for someone who simply wants to know
how to write and deploy their *first* app.

  as a beginner, if i wanted to set up my first tomcat server, the
first thing i'd want to know is what a totally *empty* server looks
like.  as in, what are the initial contents of the webapps/ directory
if i have *no* apps deployed?  that's not at all obvious since it's
already filled with cool apps, but that just makes it more difficult
to know what tomcat would look like *without* anything deployed.

  from my perspective, it would have been useful to have a few more
sample directories at that level, such as:

  webapps/	what's already there, just leave where it is
  noapps/	the layout when nothing is deployed yet
  servletapp/	what a *single* servlet app looks like deployed
  jspapp/	what a *single* jsp app looks like deployed

as i read it, i can change which directory is used as the basis for
tomcat apps just by changing the value of "appBase" in
conf/server.xml:

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

at which point, it would have taken literally seconds to see how to
deploy my first app by running:

  $ diff -r noapps servletapp

that's it -- with one command, i see everything that needs to be added
to a new tomcat deployment for my first servlet app.

  i'm still reading the deployment page so i'm sure i'll figure it out
in short order, but any chance of something like that being added?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

Re: a suggestion for documenting one's first jsp/servlet deployment

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 03/04/2011 13:20, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm still reading the deployment page so i'm sure i'll figure it out
> > in short order, but any chance of something like that being added?
>
> In short, no chance.
>
> The longer answer comes in two parts.
>
> The first is that the Tomcat docs, with the exception of the "first
> webapp" section, assume that folks are familiar with the relevant
> specifications (Servlet 3.0, JSP 2.2, EL 2.2 & HTTP 1.1 are the main
> ones but there are others) and tries not to repeat information that
> is included in those specifications. The docs (and some error
> messages) reference those specifications as necessary. The layout of
> a web application is covered in the Servlet specification.
>
> The second is that the Tomcat distribution packaging is a constant
> balance between features, small download size and ease of use.
> Various organisations of the packaging have been tried over the
> years and none have yet managed to please everybody (nor do I think
> we will ever find one that does please everybody). If Tomcat were to
> include the additional directories you suggest, most users would
> view them as cruft that has to be deleted.

  fair enough, thanks.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/04/2011 13:20, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm still reading the deployment page so i'm sure i'll figure it out
> in short order, but any chance of something like that being added?

In short, no chance.

The longer answer comes in two parts.

The first is that the Tomcat docs, with the exception of the "first
webapp" section, assume that folks are familiar with the relevant
specifications (Servlet 3.0, JSP 2.2, EL 2.2 & HTTP 1.1 are the main
ones but there are others) and tries not to repeat information that is
included in those specifications. The docs (and some error messages)
reference those specifications as necessary. The layout of a web
application is covered in the Servlet specification.

The second is that the Tomcat distribution packaging is a constant
balance between features, small download size and ease of use. Various
organisations of the packaging have been tried over the years and none
have yet managed to please everybody (nor do I think we will ever find
one that does please everybody). If Tomcat were to include the
additional directories you suggest, most users would view them as cruft
that has to be deleted.

Mark