Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Thomas Jackson <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/18 21:28:30 UTC

remap.config suggestion

In remap.config order is everything. Its great because it makes the configs
easy to read and easy to parse. One problem that i've found is that it
isn't quite true-- each remap type is actually done in order -- which means
the order of lines in the file is not the "actual" order of remap.

My suggestion is to change the remap processing to remove the type ordering
and just follow the order within the file. This should help a lot with
on-boarding new users as well as make bigger user's configs easier to
manage.

I imagine there was some reason for its current implementation, but i've
found that it is generally confusing to explain to people and I can't
really see why we'd need it-- since if you wanted that ordering you could
just order the file that way.

Thoughts?

Thomas Jackson

Re: remap.config suggestion

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Thomas Jackson <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In remap.config order is everything. Its great because it makes the configs easy to read and easy to parse. One problem that i've found is that it isn't quite true-- each remap type is actually done in order -- which means the order of lines in the file is not the "actual" order of remap.
>
> My suggestion is to change the remap processing to remove the type ordering and just follow the order within the file. This should help a lot with on-boarding new users as well as make bigger user's configs easier to manage.

This has been a long standing issue :-/. See

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-81

Yes. We should fix this, order should be the only thing that matters IMO. Anything else renders the non-“map” directives mostly useless.

— Leif