Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Maciej Jaskowski <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/25 11:05:01 UTC

How can I help in developing?

Hi everyone,

I will have some time (say half of each week) from mid January to mid
March for a hard work on some interesting OS project.

Since I have a fine 3-months experience in developing using Hadoop and
I am interested in Machine Learning, Mahout seems to me like an
excellent choice :-)

So... how can I help?

Greetings,
Maciej Jaśkowski

Re: How can I help in developing?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Maiej,

With regard to semi-supervised learning, we have taken baby steps in getting
all of our classifiers and clustering algorithms to speak a common language.

The goal is to have a classifier be usable in all contexts, regardless of
whether it came from supervised, semi-supervised or unsupervised origins.

That is an area where work is needed.

We have no reinforcement learning or active learning capabilities.  Those
would also be areas of some potential, especially the active learning.
 Vowpal Wabbit just added an active learning component which is reputedly
doing very well.

Posted by Maciej Jaskowski <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for all answers!

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Maciej,

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
Hi Maciej,

My best suggestion would be to check out the JIRA tickets for Mahout.
Here's a link with an overview of all the current tickets:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT

Feel free to pick one that sounds like fun to you :) On the other hand,
if you had an idea for something new that isn't listed, you can always
make a new ticket and try to tackle it.

Good luck and happy coding!

Shannon

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.