Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Wood <da...@woodtopia.org> on 2003/09/05 05:11:32 UTC

SSL/Verisign Confusion

I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
for certain.  Here's the situation:

1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
call it "company")
2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
process.
5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:

$ keytool -list

Keystore type: jks
Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)

company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
0's)

...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
"trustedCertEntry" here.

The problem I'm having is this:

$ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
Enter keystore password: xxx
keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
<company> already exists

(but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
exists shouldn't be a problem???)

So, I have several questions:

1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
right?
3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what I
have said above.

Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.

-Dave
---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Dave Wood <da...@woodtopia.org>.
OK, good...glad I'm not as confused as I thought. :)

Problem is...I don't see any way to extract a private key using keytool.
Perhaps I just need to look at openssl...I haven't used this tool yet.

Thanks, -dave

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Using OpenSSL to set up your own CA

Posted by Christopher Williams <cc...@ntlworld.com>.
Tons of people seem to have wondered whether they can use OpenSSL to set up
their own CA and server certificates.  The answer is most certainly and for
people who've never encountered it before, I'll tell you how.

SETTING UP YOUR CA
-----------------------------------

Step 1.  Go to www.openssl.org and download the source code.  Even Windows
users need to build it, so you'll need access to a C compiler.  You may be
able to get hold of prebuilt binaries on the web and you can certainly get
hold of the GNU C compiler or you can use Borland and Microsoft compilers.
There are good build instructions included with the source distribution, so
I won't go into build details.

Step 2.  Create directories to hold your CA keys, your server keys and, if
you want to use SSL client authentication, your client keys.  For the sake
of argument let's assume that these directories are called "ssl/ca",
"ssl/server" and "ssl/client".

Step 3.  Create a private key and certificate request for your own CA:
openssl req -new -newkey rsa:1024 -nodes -out ssl/ca/ca.csr -keyout
ssl/ca/ca.key

Step 4.  Create your CA's self-signed certificate (note lasts one year -
increase the days setting to whatever you want):
openssl x509 -trustout -signkey ssl/ca/ca.key -days 365 -req -in
ssl/ca/ca.csr -out ssl/ca/ca.pem
WINDOWS USERS:If you copy the ca.pem file to ca.crt and edit the file so
that the strings "TRUSTED CERTIFICATE" read "CERTIFICATE", you can import
your CA certificate into your trusted root certificates store.

Step 5.  Import the CA certificate into the JDK certificate authorities
keystore:
keytool -import -keystore $JAVA_JOME/jre/lib/security/cacerts -file
ssl/ca/ca.pem -alias my_ca

Windows users need to replace $JAVA_HOME with %JAVA_HOME%.

Step 6.  Create a file to hold your CA's serial numbers.  This file starts
with the number "2":
echo "02" > ssl/ca/ca.srl

SETTING UP YOUR WEB SERVER

Step 7.  Create a keystore for your web server.
keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA -keysize 1024 -keystore
ssl/server/server.ks -storetype JKS

Step 8.  Create a certificate request for your web server.
keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file
ssl/server/server.csr -keystore ssl/server/server.ks
You need to edit the certificate request file slightly.  Open it up in a
text editor and amend the text which reads "NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST" to
"CERTIFICATE REQUEST"

Step 9.  Have your CA sign your certificate request:
openssl x509 -CA ssl/ca/ca.pem -CAkey ssl/ca/ca.key -CAserial
ssl/ca/ca.srl -req -in ssl/server/server.csr -out
ssl/server/server.crt -days 365

Step 10.  Import your signed server certificate into your server keystore:
keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore
ssl/server/server.ks -trustcacerts -file ssl/server/server.crt
You should see a message "Certificate reply was installed in keystore".

Step 11.  Import your CA certificate into your server keystore:
keytool -import -alias my_ca -keystore
ssl/server/server.ks -trustcacerts -file ssl/ca/ca.pem
This step is only necessary if you wish to use SSL client authentication
with Tomcat.

Step 12. Set up an SSL connector for Tomcat.  I assume that you know, or can
find out, how to do this.  Open up conf/server.xml in a text editor and
search for the text "keystoreFile".  Ensure that the attribute value is the
keystore you've created above.

SETTING UP AN SSL CLIENT

Step 13.  Create a client certificate request:
openssl req -new -newkey rsa:512 -nodes -out ssl/client/client1.req -keyout
ssl/client/client1.key
The common name of the client must match a user in Tomcat's user realm (e.g.
an entry in conf/tomcat-users.xml).

Step 14.  Have your CA sign your client certificate.
openssl x509 -CA ssl/ca/ca.pem -CAkey ssl/ca/ca.key -CAserial
ssl/ca/ca.srl -req -in ssl/client/client1.req -out
ssl/client/client1.pem -days 365

Step 15.  Generate a PKCS12 file containing your server key and server
certificate.
openssl pkcs12 -export -clcerts -in ssl/client/client1.pem -inkey
ssl/client/client1.key -out ssl/client/client1.p12 -name
"my_client_certificate"

Step 16.  Import the PKCS12 file into your web browser to use as your client
certificate and key.

Repeat steps 13-16 as often as required.

Step 17.  Enable client certificate authentication in Tomcat.  Open up
conf/server.xml and search for the text "clientAuth".  Set the value of the
attribute to "true".

I apologize in advance for any typing errors.  Hopefully, it's all correct
and you should all be able to get up to speed with OpenSSL.

Re: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> I believe a Verisign certificate alone is $600 for a year.  You can get
> certificates much cheaper, but there are issues with some older broswers
not
> recognizing the CA (so your users would get a message stating that the
> certificate may not be legit).
>
> openssl is not an alternative to VeriSign.  openssl is software, Verisign
is
> a company that provides certificates (though apparently, you can use
openssl
> to create certificates yourself if you don't care at all about them being
> legit (for an intranet, for example?)).  There are (much) cheapers
> alternatives to VeriSign.  Check out freessl.com, for example (not free,
but
> $35.00 isn't bad).

Agreed.  VeriSign can charge what they do because all browsers (including at
least Sun's implementation of JSSE) ship with VeriSign's CA cert as trusted.
I just use my openssl CA for development boxes or small departmental servers
(where I can tell everyone that will ever use it how to trust my CA cert).

Re: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Christopher Williams <cc...@ntlworld.com>.
www.openssl.org is the website for OpenSSL.  It's an open source
implementation of SSL / TLS together with a tremendous amount of other stuff
(such as X.509, S/MIME, every cryptographic algorithm you ever heard of).
You can also use it to set up your own CA - it's not the easiest software to
use as it takes a terrific number of command line switches, but it's
probably more convenient than having to wait on Verisign and renew your
certificates every couple of weeks.

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Re: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Hi Dave,

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

---

Re: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Dave Wood <da...@woodtopia.org>.
I did everything with keytool.

I tried keyclone last night, but it appears that you can't clone a
"trustedCertEntry".  I get the error:

"Alias <company> has no (private) key"

...it almost seems like once your keyEntry becomes a trustedCertEntry, you
can't get to the private key at all. ???

The REALLY annoying this is that I can't imagine why I would have
self-signed this thing, but that's the only explanation I can come up with
for why it is showing as a trustedCertEntry when I do a keytool -list.

I *must* be missing something.

Posted by Jay Garala <ja...@electrosoft-inc.com>.
Hmm..  Did you create the PK in Tomcat's keystore or your JDK's keystore?

Try the keyclone?  Clone your 'company' to 'tomcat'.

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Jay Garala <ja...@electrosoft-inc.com>.
Try the Java keytool help:
 http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/keytool.html

Tomcat how-to:
 http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html

If you have OpenSSL:
 http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=4240

Jay

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Firstly, it looks like you should wipe you keystore and start again.  To use
a VS cert with Tomcat, the two options I know are:
1) Follow the instructions at http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.
2) Using openssl or otherwise, convert your cert+key to a pkcs12 file, and
use that as your keystore (remember to set 'keystoreType="pkcs12"' on the
Factory in server.xml).

"Dave Wood" <da...@woodtopia.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
> correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
> problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
> for certain.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
> call it "company")
> 2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
> 3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
> an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
> 4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
> process.
> 5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:
>
> $ keytool -list
>
> Keystore type: jks
> Keystore provider: SUN
>
> Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)
>
> company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
> Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
> 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
> 0's)
>
> ...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
> these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
> "trustedCertEntry" here.
>
> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> $ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
> Enter keystore password: xxx
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
> <company> already exists
>
> (but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
> exists shouldn't be a problem???)
>
> So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
> 2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
> the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
> right?
> 3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what
> have said above.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.
>
> -Dave
> ---

---

Re: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion

Posted by Jay Garala <ja...@electrosoft-inc.com>.
Is public the one returned from Versign or is it the Verisign's CA Cert?

If you want try following to see if the cert exists within JDK trusted
calist:
Execute from jdk\jre\lib\security Directory

keytool -list -keystore cacerts -storepass changeit

Jay