Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by glopezm <gm...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/16 03:31:49 UTC

Axis2-1.5.1 and user exceptions

Hi,
I'm using axis2 v1.5.1 as it is stated in the subject of this message and
I've found that user exceptions are not being reported as they used to be
with axis1. If one declare an operation throwing an exception, whenever the
exception is thrown the detail part of the soap fault element used to be
populated by axis1 with all exception data. However it is not working (at
least in this way) anymore. The <soapenv:Detail /> tag is empty. There is a
bug that was filed almost two years ago
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3443) which explains the
situation very clearly but it has not even been assigned yet!

Now I'm wondering whether someone is aware of a workaround to overcome this
issue since it does not happen that the bug will be corrected anytime soon
:-(.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Axis2-1.5.1 and user exceptions

Posted by glopezm <gm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply!
Just as an update I wanted to state that I've resolved this issue by moving
on to the axis2 jaxws implementation which works pretty good so far and
exceptions work like it is expected. Using this approach you can develop
contract last web services without spending too much time.

Regarding the contract first approach, I think it is a good practice but
almost just for the books. This is for me (saying that with all my respect
for other opinions) almost impossible to do in the real world since you
always have a tight schedule to develop an application and web services are
just a small part of it (the interface). It is not possible/reasonable to
dedicate such a long time while you have more important things to resolve
like the the core business internal implementation. I'm not saying that one
do not have to pay attention to web services and compatibility issues that
may come with contract last, but it is not a fact that you'll have problems
if you do it and even though all issues can be resolved. This is just my
opinion :-).

Regardless of what I stated, I recognize that under certain conditions
contract first might be a better approach.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Axis2-1.5.1 and CallbackHandler

Posted by TomazM <to...@arnes.si>.
What is the best practices to retrieve identifier in service operation method?

Is identifier from CallbackHandler stored in local thread?

Regards, Tomaz

Re: Axis2-1.5.1 and user exceptions

Posted by Mauro Molinari <ma...@cardinis.com>.
Il 19/02/2010 16.14, Martin Gainty ha scritto:
> when you state ..it definitely worked under axis1 ..are you stating you
> must specify RPC over doc-literal?
> Is the use of RPC a stated business requirement?

Hi Martin,
I think RPC doesn't matter at all here. Li Ma was saying that "Axis1
definitely worked" regarding the handling of user exceptions in
code-first approach.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hello Li

the biggest problem with a contract is you are bound to fixed record

doc-literal-encoded has been around for 7 years and has been deployed numerous times on numerous production sites
Here is a good whitepaper to read on the advantages of doc-literal over RPC
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/

also DOC-LITERAL (with encoding) is clearly the best choice for complex structures over any RPC based implementation

ALSO rpc is using a remote procedure call to call the function with the parameters leaving a HUGE security hole
in your webservice with the open port you are using to the RPC method

AXIS2 is heavily favoring doc-literal over RPC for above stated reasons

when you state ..it definitely worked under axis1 ..are you stating you must specify RPC over doc-literal?
Is the use of RPC a stated  business requirement?

Martin Gainty
please do not modify or disrupt this transmission. Thank You

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:15:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Axis2-1.5.1 and user exceptions
From: lima01@gmail.com
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org

I have been puzzled by this issue for long time. Seams like at this point, using contract-first approach is the only solution for now.
But it will still be very very helpful if something can be done so code-first approach can work too. Axis1 definitely worked. I can imagine lots of people are using code-first approach because of its simplicity.

Thanks!
Li

lima01@gmail.com

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/

Re: Axis2-1.5.1 and user exceptions

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
The Jibx2Wsdl tool can be used to easily convert most existing code to
an Axis2 (or JiBX/WS) web service. The output of Jibx2Wsdl includes
WSDL, schema, and JiBX binding definitions you can use to deploy your
service code on Axis2. The documentation page at
http://jibx.sourceforge.net/fromcode/jibx2wsdl.html gives an
introduction to using it, and the JiBX distribution comes with a set of
five examples
(http://jibx.sourceforge.net/fromcode/jibx2wsdl-examples.html) showing
some usage variations.

Jibx2Wsdl generates clean WSDL and schema definitions for most existing
code directly, but is also fully customizable, both at the service
definition and schema levels. The article at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/tutorials/j-jibx1/ discusses the
schema (and JiBX binding) generation from code part, including
customizations.

And yes, it includes handling of user exceptions - see the example code
for some details. General information on using JiBX in Axis2, including
information about the jibx-axis2 distribution package for updating older
versions of Axis2 to work with newer versions of JiBX (and to take
advantage of fixes to the Axis2/JiBX linkage code), is at
http://jibx.sourceforge.net/axis2/index.html

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
XML and Web Services in Java
Training and Consulting

Posted by Li Ma <li...@gmail.com>.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Mauro Molinari <mauro.molinari@cardinis.com

Posted by Mauro Molinari <ma...@cardinis.com>.

Posted by glopezm <gm...@gmail.com>.
I've continued doing some research about these issues and I've also found out
that there's another related issue in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3412. It is now clear for me that
custom exceptions are not working the way it should (at least for those like
me using the code first approach) and that throwing an AxisFault is the
solution/workaround to get the chance to generate the detail part manually
as I shown in my previous message. Even though in order to get the generated
client side code to work or handle the exceptions appropriately I had to do
some subtle changes regarding namespace uri within the stub while parsing
the response...

Posted by glopezm <gm...@gmail.com>.