Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jurgen Stroo <bl...@JurgenStroo.com> on 2004/08/05 11:44:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache over NFS

Hi List,

I am trying to use apache over NFS, we have some diskless machines which
mount their root fs from a boot server.
Now, when I try to start the  httpd  daemon (Redhat Enterprise server), it
is not spawning child processes,  I am also not getting a .pid file.  De
/var dir is a symlink to /ram/var

I've enable the folloowing:

AcceptMutex flock
LockFile /var/log/httpd/accept.lock

I use prefork.c as MPM (Unix default)

Anyone any idea?

Jurgen

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour.
That's relativity." [A. Einstein, 1938]

http://jurgenstroo.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache over NFS

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
mmmmmm.... very hard to say...
I used it apache over NFS before...
Trying to write the logs, pid and lock files to a RO volume, and a common
httpd.conf (that made pid and lock file to be overwritten), were the only
problems I've had.
And these could be fixed in 2 minutes.

sorry I'm no help here :(

Posted by Jurgen Stroo <bl...@JurgenStroo.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:44:59 +0200 (CEST), Jurgen Stroo
<bl...@jurgenstroo.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to use apache over NFS, we have some diskless machines which
> mount their root fs from a boot server.
> Now, when I try to start the  httpd  daemon (Redhat Enterprise server), it
> is not spawning child processes,  I am also not getting a .pid file.  De
> /var dir is a symlink to /ram/var
>
> I've enable the folloowing:
>
> AcceptMutex flock
> LockFile /var/log/httpd/accept.lock
>
> I use prefork.c as MPM (Unix default)

Anything interesting in the error log?  Have you tried strace'ing
httpd?  Have you tried starting it under a debugger?

Joshua.