Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by hanasaki <ha...@hanaden.com> on 2007/06/11 19:53:37 UTC

ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.14)

I have an unpacked WAR at the "docBase"  in the below ROOT.xml
ROOT.xml is in:
	./conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml

** The issue is that "host" doesnt seem to be found...  tomcat links
like http://localhost:8080/examples work fine.

== telnet to the server / by hand ==
telnet localhost 8080
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /index.html HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 400 No Host matches server name localhost
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:34:30 GMT
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

==  java version ==
java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)

== ROOT.xml == <Context
        cookies="true"
        crossContext="false"
        debug="0"
        docBase="/project"
<!--
        docBase="${catalina.home}/ROOT"
-->
        path="/app1"
        privileged="false"
        reloadable="true"

RE: ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.13)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pid [mailto:p@pidster.com]
> Subject: Re: ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.13)
>
> >> == ROOT.xml == <Context
> >>         docBase="/project"
>
> Ignore the docBase attribute, it doesn't work when the context is
> configured like this.

Not true.  Use of docBase is quite appropriate when the webapp is placed
outside of the <Host> appBase directory, as appears to be the case here.

> >>         path="/app1"
>
> Ignore the path attribute, it doesn't work when the context is
> configured like this.

That comment is correct.  The name of the .xml file defines the URI
path.

> Set the appBase in the Host definition in server.xml to the location
> where you're putting the 'project' folder.  Now rename the 'project'
> folder 'ROOT'.

If you mean have appBase point to the project folder, that won't work
(the appBase must not be the same as a docBase).  If you mean have
appBase point to one level above the project folder, that will work for
this one webapp, but it will break access to the other Tomcat webapps,
such as docs and the two examples apps.

The missing step (besides the invalid path attribute) is probably
failing to remove webapps/ROOT.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.13)

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by hanasaki <ha...@hanaden.com>.

RE: ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.14)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: hanasaki [mailto:hanasaki@hanaden.com]
> Subject: ROOT.xml fails to install context (tomcat 6.0.14)
>
> ** The issue is that "host" doesnt seem to be found...

What does the above statement mean?  What "host" isn't found?  Who or
what doesn't find it?