Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> on 2008/07/23 21:22:47 UTC

settings.runtimeInfo.file: null by design?

Hi,

during some debugging (Maven 2.0.9), I struggled with the expression

   ${settings.runtimeInfo.file}

returning null (instead of the path to the user settings file). Further
tracking led me to MavenCli.buildSettings() which calls

   settings.setRuntimeInfo( createRuntimeInfo( commandLine, settings ) );

just before returning the settings. However, createRuntimeInfo() is
constructing quite an empty RuntimeInfo object which in particular has
the file member set to null. To summarize: The call above is effectively
erasing information that is present before. Can somebody shed some light
on whether this is by design or should I fill an issue for that?

This is of practical relevance for the InvokerMavenExecutor from the
Maven Release Manager which tries to get the path to the current user
settings file to pass this on to the forked build and currently fails to
do so, i.e. always uses the default user settings.

Is there maybe an alternative way of getting the path to the user
settings file used for the current Maven session?

Benjamin