Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Markus Kramer <ma...@firemail.de> on 2001/10/28 08:57:49 UTC

reload servlet automatically

hi,

I've a problem reloading my servlets without restarting tomcat.
<Context path="/myapp"
	docBase="/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/myapp"
	debug="1"
	reloadable="true"
	trusted="true" >
</Context>
If i recompile my servlet, tomcat doesn't use the new .class-file.

I have tomcat 3.2.3 running and cannot upgrade to tomcat 4.

thanks,
Markus

RE: reload servlet automatically

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
How about upgrading to 3.3, reloading is working there most of the time
(just for servlets, not for supporting classes btw).
In short : 3.3 is a big improvement (also in other ways) to the 3.2 versions
(at least that is my opinion).

Mvgr,
Martin

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: reload servlet automatically

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Markus Kramer wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:57:49 +0100
> From: Markus Kramer <ma...@firemail.de>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: reload servlet automatically
>
> hi,
>
> I've a problem reloading my servlets without restarting tomcat.
> <Context path="/myapp"
> 	docBase="/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/myapp"
> 	debug="1"
> 	reloadable="true"
> 	trusted="true" >
> </Context>
> If i recompile my servlet, tomcat doesn't use the new .class-file.
>
> I have tomcat 3.2.3 running and cannot upgrade to tomcat 4.

In general, Tomcat 3.2 only checks for updated classes at request time, so
you actually have to perform a request to trigger the check.  In addition,
it doesn't catch all cases of updated classes (although it's usually
pretty good at checking the servlet class you are requesting this time).

> thanks,
> Markus

Craig