Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tobias Heintz <to...@plista.com> on 2015/10/20 19:50:51 UTC

Very high count

For our Kafka cluster of three machines, we have set up a Grafana dashboard, which, using JMX through collectd, holds some under the hood metrics of the cluster. Especially interesting is the "kafka-messages-in-per-sec" metric, which appears to be the number of messages the cluster takes in per second. However, this metric is way too high for our use case, reporting almost 10x the number of messages per sec that our old proprietary messaging platform reports.

My question: what exactly does this number represent? Which kinds of messages are measured here? How can such a great gap be explained (we have very high trust in our old platform that it is reporting the proper values)?

Thanks a lot
tobias

--
Tobias Heintz
Teamlead Core

Telefon: +49 30 47375370 | Fax: +49 30 484984411
E-Mail: tobias.heintz@plista.com
Links: www.plista.com

plista GmbH | Torstraße 33-35 | 10119 Berlin | Deutschland
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg | HRB 114726 B
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Richter | Christian Laase | Dr. Dominik Matyka | Jana Kusick