Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sjoerd Mulder <sj...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/02 10:37:00 UTC

Re: Spark driver hangs on start of job

Hi Richard,

I have actually applied the following fix to our 1.4.0 version and this
seem to resolve the zombies :)

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/7077/files

Sjoerd

Posted by Richard Marscher <rm...@localytics.com>.
Ah I see, glad that simple patch works for your problem. That seems to be a
different underlying problem than we have been experiencing. In our case,
the executors are failing properly, its just that none of the new ones will
ever escape experiencing the same exact issue. So we start a death spiral
of thousands of failed executors, all of which can't connect with the
driver. Meanwhile, the driver just sits there in the "zombie" state doing
nothing while it waits for executors to respond. In that light, my solution
is geared towards solving things on the driver-side gracefully.