Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com> on 2003/10/10 19:39:56 UTC

Validator 1.0 Tool - no love?

Say there folks -
  I had posted a quick hack of the JSP taglib that produces the
javascript required for client-side validation using Veltools and Struts
1.0.

I've had a couple people ask if "Velocity + Struts can do the javascript
validation" - and realized that the code never made it into the soure
tree, and the wiki link was taken off the main page. :-(

Any reason my code get's no love?

  http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?VelocityValidationTool

- Timo

Re: Validator 1.0 Tool - no love?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
thanks!  this got me all excited, and i blew a couple hours of my day updating
and cleaning up that code.  i put the new version up at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?VelocityToolsValidatorTool

now, i really gotta move on to other work, so if anyone has a VelocityStruts +
Validator app that they can test this out on, i'd be much obliged.  i don't
want to commit it myself until it's been tested.  (Marino, if you wanna test
this and check it in, go for it!)

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

Posted by "Marinó A. Jónsson" <ma...@centrum.is>.
uhm ... sorry about that :P

Re: Validator 1.0 Tool - no love?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Tim Colson said:
> > What wiki link was taken off what main page?
> > The VelocityTools docs still like to the VelocityTools page in the
> wiki,
> > and the VelocityProjectPages page in the wiki still links to your
> contribution.
>
> Ah, ok, just a bit hidden - i.e. no direct link to the
> VelocityProjectPages which does have the tool/code linke, but is not
> itself linked from the VelocityTools, which is linked from the
> velocity/tools site. That made my tongue hurt.

you type with your tongue!?  that does sound painful.  :)

> > believe improvements (1.1 support?) were to follow and
> > the first effort was mostly a demonstration.
> Yep, that's about right.
>
> Say, didn't Marino follow up quickly with a similar hack for 1.1? (I
> assumed my hack would only be good for the unfortunates stuck in 1.0
> land, but if there is still need for a revision to work with Struts 1.1,
> I'll be happy to work on that.)

i believe he's said he got something working for 1.1, but IIRC, i have yet to
see the code.  i'd love it if we had it.  in fact, i'd be near ready to roll
out a beta of VelocityTools 1.1 if we had that.  (a final would probably have
to wait for some doc upgrades).

> > so basically, i see the Struts 1.0 javascript validation
> > support as worthy of the Wiki
>
> Oh, no worries, I'm just glad to hear there's nothing more to it than
> that. :-)

'course not.  with all your help on docs and list support, you're still my
hero.  that tongue-typing thing is impressive too! :)

> I've dropped a quick link onto the VelocityTools wiki, that should help
> folks get there for 1.0.

thanks!

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

RE: Validator 1.0 Tool - no love?

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> What wiki link was taken off what main page?
> The VelocityTools docs still like to the VelocityTools page in the
wiki,
> and the VelocityProjectPages page in the wiki still links to your
contribution.

Ah, ok, just a bit hidden - i.e. no direct link to the
VelocityProjectPages which does have the tool/code linke, but is not
itself linked from the VelocityTools, which is linked from the
velocity/tools site. That made my tongue hurt.

> believe improvements (1.1 support?) were to follow and
> the first effort was mostly a demonstration.
Yep, that's about right.

Say, didn't Marino follow up quickly with a similar hack for 1.1? (I
assumed my hack would only be good for the unfortunates stuck in 1.0
land, but if there is still need for a revision to work with Struts 1.1,
I'll be happy to work on that.)

> so basically, i see the Struts 1.0 javascript validation
> support as worthy of the Wiki

Oh, no worries, I'm just glad to hear there's nothing more to it than
that. :-)

I've dropped a quick link onto the VelocityTools wiki, that should help
folks get there for 1.0.

Thanks!
Timo

Re: Validator 1.0 Tool - no love?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Tim Colson said:
> Say there folks -
>   I had posted a quick hack of the JSP taglib that produces the
> javascript required for client-side validation using Veltools and Struts
> 1.0.
>
> I've had a couple people ask if "Velocity + Struts can do the javascript
> validation" - and realized that the code never made it into the soure
> tree, and the wiki link was taken off the main page. :-(
>
> Any reason my code get's no love?
>   http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?VelocityValidationTool

What wiki link was taken off what main page?  The VelocityTools docs still
like to the VelocityTools page in the wiki, and the VelocityProjectPages page
in the wiki still links to your contribution.  If something disappeared from
the wiki that ought not have (and your contrib ought not disappear from it any
time soon), then by all means put it back.

as for why your javascript validator hasn't made it into the source tree...
first off, IIRC, you posted it to the list as a "first pass."  that led me to
believe improvements (1.1 support?) were to follow and the first effort was
mostly a demonstration.

also (and perhaps more significantly), your contribution is for Struts 1.0.
the head of the velocity-tools code has moved on to support Struts 1.1.  at
this point, i don't forsee us having a 1.0.1 release or anything like that.
even if we did need to (for some big, as-yet-undiscovered 1.0 bug), i'd be
unlikely to add a new feature that i have not used, requires another external
library, and would potentially add new bugs.

so basically, i see the Struts 1.0 javascript validation support as worthy of
the Wiki and maybe the contrib folder, but not a place in the main source
tree.  sorry. :-/

but that said, i got enough love for the effort to throw the code into the
contrib folder if you think that would give it more visibility or make it
easier to get ahold of.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com