Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/20 15:43:25 UTC

Documentation about the 'Lock' feature

Hi,

I'd like to learn how to use and setup my server to be able to use
locks, but I can't find any documentation in the SVN book. Can someone
give me more information ?

Thanks a lot.

--
Romain Prévost
Epitech promotion 2007

Re: Documentation about the 'Lock' feature

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 20, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Romain Prévost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to learn how to use and setup my server to be able to use
> locks, but I can't find any documentation in the SVN book. Can someone
> give me more information ?

Look at the svn 1.2 book on http://svnbook.red-bean.com, it's all in
chapter 7.

Re: Documentation about the 'Lock' feature

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
And by that I mean changing svn:needs-lock and other properties...

Posted by Erik Anderson <er...@teamworkgroup.com>.
If some of your developers are "less trustworthy" than others, maybe you
want to give them their own branch to play with.  That way any
"unauthorized changes" stay on the branch and are not merged upwards.

Otherwise there should be a log of the changes made to a file.  If someone
changed a file property, you should be able to figure out who it was and
when it was changed.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
Good suggestion.

In my defense (well not really), since the decription of this project
is "same as and better than CVS" and I can make CVS do exactly what I
have decribed and need,  I figured it would be easy or easier than CVS
to get Subversion to do the same tasks...

My mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
actually CVS works very well for this... Basically what I want is to
have the files checked out read only be default and require them to
lock them prior to working on them.

Now I like some of Subversion's features... Especially the browse
feature... And it seems it will work just fine. There is an entire
section in the manual on how to do this.

However is it possible to prevent users that have write access from
changing file properties...? that is where I am confused, because at
first look it appears anyone with write access can change any of the
file properties?

Or am I missing something.

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
most of our documents are binairies so that concurrency does not
matter really...
And merging for binairies is not possible in our case.

Thanks.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
Phil <pl...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/20/2005 02:29:06 PM:

> I did and this is what I am try to issue:
>
> svn propset svn:needs-lock * reponame
>
> does nto work...?
>
> I need specific help... what specifically do I need to issue as a
> command to set the property to all the subdirectories below my
> repository that I have called 'reponame'?
>
> everything I tried gives me the error:
> '.' is not a working copy

Properties can only be set on a working copy.  You need to checkout
everything and then set the property on all of the files in your working
copy (use the --recursive switch) and then commit the prop changes.

Mark

Re: Documentation about the 'Lock' feature

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by steveking <st...@gmx.ch>.
David Weintraub wrote:

> Locking is pretty simple to implement. All you have to do is set a
> property "svn:lock" on files you want to force locking, and learn the

That property name would be "svn:needs-lock", not "svn:lock".

Stefan

Re: Documentation about the 'Lock' feature

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Since the "published" books only deal with 1.0 and 1.1, locking won't
be in either of those.

Instead, look at the nightly build "book" at
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.locking.html>.

Locking is pretty simple to implement. All you have to do is set a
property "svn:lock" on files you want to force locking, and learn the
new "svn lock" and "svn unlock" commands. Okay, there's a bit more
than this, but not much. It's all in the URL I provided.

BTW, I installed Subversion 1.2 over 1.13 and it seemed to work
beautifully with no problems until I tried doing stuff with locking.
If you're using Apache, you have to replace the two Subversion modules
in the Apache module directory.

On 7/20/05, Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to learn how to use and setup my server to be able to use
> locks, but I can't find any documentation in the SVN book. Can someone
> give me more information ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> Romain Prévost