Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/08/03 22:49:36 UTC

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Tuesday 03 August 2004 01:18 pm, LuKreme wrote:
> Remember, the logo is the first thing people are going to see when they
> are considering installing SA.  A Cartoonish logo will discourage
> serious admins who do not want to explain why they installed a package
> with a stylized Elmer Fudd in ninja garb on megacorp.com's mailserver.

This is SO true.
I ignored SA for way too long (couple years) because every visit
to that web page popped up that childish logo (apologies to the
artist).

It reminded me of some kid's game, and I took a LONG time
and many recommendations from other people to get past that
impression.

That's why i like 1.0.26.  Its professional enough, it ties it
to Apache, which lends more credibility.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.

LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote on 08/03/2004 04:18:45 PM:

> Remember, the logo is the first thing people are going to see when they
> are considering installing SA.  A Cartoonish logo will discourage
> serious admins who do not want to explain why they installed a package
> with a stylized Elmer Fudd in ninja garb on megacorp.com's mailserver.

Vey true.  BUT, I wouldn't mind seeing a stylized Elmer Fudd in ninja garb
logo.  ;-)

Andy

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 03 Aug 2004, at 14:49, Justin Mason wrote:
> Well, in my opinion, it's important to remember that this is an
> open source project, and having a logo that looks professional
> and corporate just does not need to be the top priority ;)

That really depends on what you want form SA in the future.  Do you
want it to be the go-to tool for mail admins or do you want it to be a
cool geeky tool?

What's apache's logo look like?  I don't see any big-eyed alien ninjas
on it.  It's clean and porfessional looking.

Remember, the logo is the first thing people are going to see when they
are considering installing SA.  A Cartoonish logo will discourage
serious admins who do not want to explain why they installed a package
with a stylized Elmer Fudd in ninja garb on megacorp.com's mailserver.

wrong.</div>But I'm not.</div>

--
There's nothing to do, so you just stay in bed [ah, poor thing] Why
live in the world when you can live in your head?

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
jdow wrote:
> Spam and Beef as in, "Where's the beef?" Oh, wait, that offends yet another
> large group. Oh well. Somehow Spam and Watercress simply does not make it.

Hey, I don't like to think there might be watercress near my office!
How about Spam and Bok Choy, that's much less offensive to me.

Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Scott Blomquist" <sc...@innertraditions.com>

> Kelson Vibber wrote:
>
> > At 11:59 PM 8/3/2004, Nancy McGough wrote:
> >
> >> * I think it is better not to use the word "ham" anywhere in the logo
> >> (e.g., don't say "Keep the ham, kill the spam") because some people
> >> will be offended by using the word "ham" to describe their "good mail."
> >

> > More likely confused than offended, I suspect, but I agree on the main
> > point.
> >

> > Kelson Vibber
> > SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>
>
> Don't use the Ham reference for anything official.
> When explaining the reporting process to my users I used the spam=bad,
> ham=good analogy. Several of my folks chimed in with the "Not to us"
> line. It was in jest, however I did make a quick apology for being a
> UScentric/WASP.
> Scott
> ps Boy, its a good thing Hormel has had a sense of humor about this<GRIN>

Spam and Beef as in, "Where's the beef?" Oh, wait, that offends yet another
large group. Oh well. Somehow Spam and Watercress simply does not make it.

{O,o}

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
But then you can't have either spam or ham on Friday. You'll simply
have to turn off your email collection.

{O,o}    Ack! Plblbltplt!
Posted by "Christopher X. Candreva" <ch...@westnet.com>.
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, John Andersen wrote:

> This is just as silly an argument as expecting a Catholic to get
> upset if you say something is Fishy, and it happens to be Friday.

Seeing as how we are SUPPOSED to eat fish on Friday, I can't see why a
Catholic would get upset. More likey to just get hungry, or say something
like "Oh, that reminds me -- I have to stop at the fish store on the way
home ! Thanks !"

Ah, the trade off of being Catholic.  We get to deal with the guilt, but
have booze in Sunday services, and to 'sacrifice' we get stuffed sole or
lobster Newberg.

:-)

Now I AM hungry !

Chris Candreva  -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Saturday 07 August 2004 11:37 pm, LuKreme wrote:
> On 08 Aug 2004, at 00:04, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> > LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> writes:
> >> Any Muslim or Jew is going to object to the 'ham' tag.
> >
> > I occasionally read this claim, but it seems rather unsupportable,
> > especially the "any" part.  It's a word, I don't think there's anything
> > in Leviticus or the Koran saying you can't say or use the word.
>
> OK, any is wrong.  But the whole "ham is good, spam is bad" doesn't sit
> well with the (practicing) Jews and Muslims I know.

I think you better ask them again, in the context of Email.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 08 Aug 2004, at 02:12, j o a r wrote:
> Why am I not surprised that you think that they would be fine with the
> name "assassin", but not with "ham"?

It's not that I 'think' they don't really like the ham designation,
it's that they've (three different people on three different occasions)
mentioned it explicitly.  One even asked if the tag in autolearn and
the sa-learn-ham mailbox could be changed to something else.  OTOH,
this particular Muslim is... conservative.

--
"There's sex and death and human grime in monochrome for one thin dime,
and at least the trains all run on time but they don't go anywhere."

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 10 Aug 2004, at 01:38, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 08:08, Dimitrios wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:06:25 -0700 "Loren Wilton"
>> <lw...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>>> Don't forget that the City of Los Angeles had to stop using a fairly
>>> major hunk of software because someone in a mail room filed a
>>> complaint
>>> that there were 'master' systems and 'slave' systems.
>>
>> amazing.. simply amazing..
>
> I didn't believe it so I checked snopes. Sure enough:
> http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

Note the big red "TRUE" at the top of the page.

--
How you have felt, o men of Athens, at hearing the speeches of my
accusers, I cannot tell; but I know that their persuasive words almost

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dougie Nisbet <do...@highmoor.co.uk>.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Monday, August 09, 2004 11:06 PM -0700 Loren Wilton
<lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Don't forget that the City of Los Angeles had to stop using a fairly major
> hunk of software because someone in a mail room filed a complaint that
> there were 'master' systems and 'slave' systems.

I didn't think it came to that. IIRC, the issue was over the labeling of
connectors on some VCR's, and the supervisor submitted a request to
software vendors to show some concern when naming things. I don't think it
ever reached the point where some kind of mandate was issued.

But it does illustrate how stupid US law can be, esp. employment law. This
is the kind of thing that makes litigators very, very happy in the security
of their jobs.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 10 Aug 2004, at 01:08, Dimitrios wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:06:25 -0700 "Loren Wilton"
> <lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Don't forget that the City of Los Angeles had to stop using a fairly
>> major
>> hunk of software because someone in a mail room filed a complaint
>> that there
>> were 'master' systems and 'slave' systems.
>
> amazing.. simply amazing..

misspelt moronic.. simply moronic..

--
One by one the bulbs burned out, like long lives come to their expected
ends.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I don't doubt that someone could conceivably be offended by the
> terminology - I wouldn't walk on eggshells because of it. If any actual
> (not hypothetical) offended party doesn't like the way the software
> works, they are free to submit a patch just like anybody else. Otherwise

Don't forget that the City of Los Angeles had to stop using a fairly major
hunk of software because someone in a mail room filed a complaint that there
were 'master' systems and 'slave' systems.

        Loren

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Bob Apthorpe <ap...@cynistar.net>.
Hi,

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:44:46 -0700 "Richard Ozer" <ro...@ois-online.com> wrote:

> I have installed spamassassin in prominent Jewish institutions.  I have
> called the folder for false positives "HAM" without complaint.  However, if
> someone asked me to change it to GEFILTE, I would surely oblige.

I'd imagine using 'kosher' and 'treyf' would get the point across
adequately. As to complaints, maybe I'm completely clueless, but most of
my jewish friends and acquaintences (non-practicing, orthodox, etc.) can
tell the difference between email and (alleged) foodstuffs. The guys
down the road at the halal pizza joint[1] probably can too.

I don't doubt that someone could conceivably be offended by the
terminology - I wouldn't walk on eggshells because of it. If any actual
(not hypothetical) offended party doesn't like the way the software
works, they are free to submit a patch just like anybody else. Otherwise
they are free to submit an RFE, complain here in person, or not use the
software.

Also, I'm certain that the developers did not choose the term to offend;
given the effectiveness of the code, if they wanted to offend I'm sure
they would have, very effectively...

-- Bob

[1] No, really. It's called "Pizza Terra" and you can imagine my
disappointment when I found they didn't specialize in Chicago-style
deep dish pizza...

RE: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Brent Kennedy <br...@cfl.rr.com>.
Ahh.  A few words to live by.  "you cant make everyone happy"

Offense is usually only taken when the word is meant as in offense in the
context of an of an offense.  Its the difference between pointing out
someone by saying he/she is white and saying he/she is a whitey!  Since spam
refers to unwanted email and ham refers to wanted email, only a person with
an ulterior motive would make something of it.  Also a little note about the
meaning of words.  They change over time and dictionaries reflect that,
which means, the meaning of a word can be anything the majority of a culture
agree on.

Please end this now.  Its off topic and can only succeed in creating a means
to offend someone.

Thanks much!  Now how about that 1.0.25 design.  Clear and simple as well as
easily sizable!

From: "Richard Ozer" <ro...@ois-online.com>

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 08 Aug 2004, at 00:04, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> writes:
>
>> Any Muslim or Jew is going to object to the 'ham' tag.
>
> I occasionally read this claim, but it seems rather unsupportable,
> especially the "any" part.  It's a word, I don't think there's anything
> in Leviticus or the Koran saying you can't say or use the word.

OK, any is wrong.  But the whole "ham is good, spam is bad" doesn't sit
well with the (practicing) Jews and Muslims I know.

--
Because you can't cotton to evil.  No Sir.  You have to smack evil on
the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of justice and say,'Bad evil. bad

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 05:20:32 -0700 "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Baloney - "Ham" is an internationally recognized generic name for those
> who indulge in amateur radio as a hobby.

ah! you are right, i forgot about ham radio! i should have known better, i was involved in it many years ago :]

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.
> Baloney - "Ham" is an internationally recognized generic name for those
> who indulge in amateur radio as a hobby.

Hey, that's what we can do - stop calling it "ham" and start calling
"baloney" - there's no actual meat products that I can find in my
Safeway-branded "baloney" products. :D

("bologna" is the correct spelling, but "baloney" is far more entertaining.)

:)

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Dimitrios" <se...@altered.com>

> On 07 Aug 2004 23:04:32 -0700 "Daniel Quinlan" <qu...@pathname.com>
wrote:

> > I occasionally read this claim, but it seems rather unsupportable,
> > especially the "any" part.  It's a word, I don't think there's anything
> > in Leviticus or the Koran saying you can't say or use the word.
>
> i think its one of those american internal issues that americans always
seem to talk about when it comes to political correctness.

> here in europe, ham has no meaning other than food.

Baloney - "Ham" is an internationally recognized generic name for those
who indulge in amateur radio as a hobby.

{^_-}   W6MKU

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On 07 Aug 2004 23:04:32 -0700 "Daniel Quinlan" <qu...@pathname.com> wrote:

> I occasionally read this claim, but it seems rather unsupportable,
> especially the "any" part.  It's a word, I don't think there's anything
> in Leviticus or the Koran saying you can't say or use the word.

i think its one of those american internal issues that americans always seem to talk about when it comes to political correctness.

here in europe, ham has no meaning other than food.

not to mention that some countries are just openly hostile towards the english language (like the french) so i wouldn't worry about the extra meanings of ham.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> writes:

> Any Muslim or Jew is going to object to the 'ham' tag.

I occasionally read this claim, but it seems rather unsupportable,
especially the "any" part.  It's a word, I don't think there's anything
in Leviticus or the Koran saying you can't say or use the word.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 04 Aug 2004, at 12:27, Scott Blomquist wrote:
> Kelson Vibber wrote:
>
>> At 11:59 PM 8/3/2004, Nancy McGough wrote:
>>> * I think it is better not to use the word "ham" anywhere in the
>>> logo (e.g., don't say "Keep the ham, kill the spam") because some
>>> people will be offended by using the word "ham" to describe their
>>> "good mail."
>> More likely confused than offended, I suspect, but I agree on the
>> main point.
>> Kelson Vibber
>> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>
>
> Don't use the Ham reference for anything official.
> When explaining the reporting process to my users I used the spam=bad,
> ham=good analogy. Several of my folks chimed in with the "Not to us"
> line. It was in jest, however I did make a quick apology for being a
> UScentric/WASP.

Any Muslim or Jew is going to object to the 'ham' tag.

> ps Boy, its a good thing Hormel has had a sense of humor about
> this<GRIN>

They don't.  They've tried to stop it, but there's no one to sue.  They
did sue Kermit over the pirate Spa'am though.

--
I'm no psychologist (although I play one when I'm picking up chicks
over by the asylum)

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Scott Blomquist <sc...@innertraditions.com>.

Kelson Vibber wrote:

> At 11:59 PM 8/3/2004, Nancy McGough wrote:
>
>> * I think it is better not to use the word "ham" anywhere in the logo
>> (e.g., don't say "Keep the ham, kill the spam") because some people
>> will be offended by using the word "ham" to describe their "good mail."
>

> More likely confused than offended, I suspect, but I agree on the main
> point.
>

> Kelson Vibber
> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>

Don't use the Ham reference for anything official.
When explaining the reporting process to my users I used the spam=bad,
ham=good analogy. Several of my folks chimed in with the "Not to us"
line. It was in jest, however I did make a quick apology for being a
UScentric/WASP.
Scott
ps Boy, its a good thing Hormel has had a sense of humor about this<GRIN>

--
     Scott V. Blomquist,A-SA-CN-NRK    TINLC(tm)  #2598
           ITI/Bear&Co    Rochester, VT

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Nancy McGough <nm...@ii.deflexion.com>.
On 3 Aug 2004 Marc Kool (M.Kool@vioro.nl) wrote:

> my 2 ct: I like 1.0.33 the most.

I also like the ones with a shuriken, both 1.0.33 and
1.0.27. A couple thoughts:

* SpamAssassin does not necessarily identify spam and non-spam.
Instead it stratifies messages into

   almost surely spam
   likely spam
   unknown
   likely non spam
   almost surely non spam

So instead of having the shuriken with all brown envelopes and
one blue envelope, it might make more sense to use colors of the
rainbow (as in 1.0.27) for the colors of the envelopes. This is
the metaphor that I use on my reverse spam filtering page, which
is here:

   <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/spam/>

* I think it is better not to use the word "ham" anywhere in the
logo (e.g., don't say "Keep the ham, kill the spam") because some
people will be offended by using the word "ham" to describe their
"good mail."

Nancy
Infinite Ink
www.ii.com

PS - I agree that this is an amazing collection!

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Marc Kool <M....@vioro.nl>.
Many logos in the contest are big while I would only like to
have a moderately small logo on my web site.

To make a proper choice I think that all logos should also be
good/usable/readable _when_ resized to something like
to 120x60 pixels.

my 2 ct: I like 1.0.33 the most.

-Marc

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:06:10 -0400 "Theo Van Dinter" <fe...@kluge.net> wrote:

> We've discussed this a little on IRC today.  The thought came up about
> having 2 logos ala Debian (http://www.debian.org/logos/).  Basically have
> one as the official project logo, and another, related, one for the
> "corporate" use.

I dont really like the restrictions that the 'corporate' logo as for debian.

If you take this route, i'd suggest to have both logos free for use.

Personally, i dont care if the logo looks 'corporate' or not, i believe
the quality of the product is more important. If the logo is threatening
or cartoonish, even the better.

dual-logos may solve the problem and people can just choose whatever they want.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:49:36PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> Well, in my opinion, it's important to remember that this is an
> open source project, and having a logo that looks professional
> and corporate just does not need to be the top priority ;)

We've discussed this a little on IRC today.  The thought came up about
having 2 logos ala Debian (http://www.debian.org/logos/).  Basically have
one as the official project logo, and another, related, one for the
"corporate" use.

IMO, we want something "clean" and simple for a logo.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
How does a fly land on the ceiling? Does it fly upside down or just go up