Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by stocki <st...@shopgate.com> on 2010/03/19 13:03:10 UTC

SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

hello..

i try to implement autosuggest component from these link:

but i have no idea how to do this !?? can anyone get me some tipps ?

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.
can nobody help me ? =(

Posted by stockii <st...@shopgate.com>.
hello.

i understand not really much about this conversation :D

but i think you can help me. i got an idea for my suggestions.
make it sense to group my suggestions with patch-236 ?

i test it. and it worked not complete well =(

my problem ist that i have too many productnames with too long names for our
app. so its necessary to group single terms and mulitple terms to one
suggestion.
the field collapse works well but i got some strange results.

does anybody try something like this ?

1316 is not the right component i think so !?

thx

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org> wrote:

> The problem is a bit more complicated. There are two issues:

Somehow I guessed this was the case, as admittedly I dont understand what it
should do!

> * simple term-level completion often produces wrong results for multi-term
> queries (which are usually rewritten as "weak" phrase queries),

Yeah, this seems obvious to me. But I don't understand how these other data
structure address this problem. They are just indexing "single terms" too,
correct?

> * the weights of suggestions should not correspond directly to IDF in the
> index - much better results can be obtained when they correspond to the
> frequency of terms/phrases in the query logs ...

This makes sense too. Again i'm not really suggesting some solution to the
entire problem, only a quick way to prune the search space directly from the
index to get back candidates for  individual terms (e.g. get the top-25
terms with edit distance <= 1 or 2 for each term).

After that point, you need to do a lot of additional processing, via query
logs, at phrase level, etc, etc...

Again I still don't know if this would even be a good fit, just suggesting a
way for an individual term to get back an enumeration of similar terms very
quickly, that could be some portion of the overall larger algorithm.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-03-31 06:14, Andy wrote:

> [...]

Hopefully, yes - it depends on how you intend to populate the TST. If
you populate it from the main index, then (unless you have indexed
phrases) there won't be any benefit over the TermsComponent. It may be
faster, but it will take more RAM. If you populate it from a list of
top-N queries, then SOLR-1316 is the way to go.

> 2) I have a field "city" with values that are entered by users. When a user is entering his city, I want to make suggestion based on what cities have already been entered so far by other users -- in order to reduce chances of duplication. What method would you recommend for this use case?

If the "city" field is not analyzed then TermsComponent is easiest to
use. If it is analyzed, but vast majority of cities are single terms,
then TermsComponent is ok too. If you want to assign different
priorities to suggestions (other than a simple IDF based priority), or
have many city names consisting of multiple tokens, then use SOLR-1316.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by Andy <an...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-03-30 05:34, Andy wrote:
> Reading through this thread and SOLR-1316, there seems to be a lot of different ways to implement auto-complete in Solr. I've seen the mentions of:
>
> EdgeNGrams
> TermsComponent
> Faceting
> TST
> Patricia Tries
> RadixTree
> DAWG
>
> Which algorthm does SOLR-1316 implement? TST is one. There are others mentioned in the comments on SOLR-1316, such as Patricia Tries, RadixTree, DAWG. Are those implemented too?
>
> Among all those methods is there a "recommended" one? What are the pros&  cons?

Only TST is implemented in SOLR-1316. The main advantage of this
approach is that it can complete arbitrary strings - e.g. frequent
queries. This reduces the chance of suggesting queries that yield no
results, which is a danger in other methods.

The disadvantage is the increased RAM consumption, and the need to
populate it (either from IndexReader - but then it's nearly equivalent
to the TermsComponent; or from a list of frequent queries - but you need
to build that list yourself).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Serba <as...@gmail.com>.
You should add this component (suggest or spellcheck, depends how do
you name it) to request handler, i.e. add

  <requestHandler name="/suggest"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
    </lst>
    <arr name="components">
      <str>suggest</str>
    </arr>
  </requestHandler>

And then you can hit the following url and get your suggestions

http://localhost:8983/solr/suggest/?spellcheck=true&spellcheck.dictionary=suggest&spellcheck.build=true&spellcheck.extendedResults=true&spellcheck.count=10&q=prefix

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.
hey.

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.
okay, thx

i installed ant and want to build with ant. but java cannot compile, because
all the lucene files missed ... !?

package org.apache.lucene.search does not exist
and more... did i checkout the wrong trunk ?
.../lucee/dev/solr/trunk

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
You need 'ant' to do builds.  At the top level, do:
ant clean
ant example

These will build everything and set up the example/ directory. After that, run:
ant test-core

to run all of the unit tests and make sure that the build works. If
the autosuggest patch has a test, this will check that the patch went
in correctly.

Lance

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM, stocki <st...@shopgate.com> wrote:

> okay,
> i do this..
>
> but one file are not right updatet ....
> Index: trunk/src/java/org/apache/solr/util/HighFrequencyDictionary.java
> (from the suggest.patch)
>
> i checkout it from eclipse, apply patch, make an new solr.war ... its the
> right way ??
> i thought that is making a war i didnt need to make an build.
>
> how do i make an build ?
>

> Alexey-34 wrote:
>>
>>> Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'
>> Are you sure you applied the patch correctly?
>> See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Working_With_Patches
>>
>> Checkout Solr trunk source code (
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk ), apply patch,
>> verify that everything went smoothly, build solr and use built version
>> for your tests.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM, stocki <st...@shopgate.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> i patch an nightly build from solr.
>>> patch runs, classes are in the correct folder, but when i replace
>>> spellcheck
>>> with this spellchecl like in the comments, solr cannot find the classes
>>> =(
>>>
>>> <searchComponent name="spellcheck" class="solr.SpellCheckComponent">
>>>    <lst name="spellchecker">
>>>      <str name="name">suggest</str>
>>>      <str
>>> name="classname">org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester</str>
>>>      <str
>>> name="lookupImpl">org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.jaspell.JaspellLookup</str>
>>>      <str name="field">text</str>
>>>      <str name="sourceLocation">american-english</str>
>>>    </lst>
>>>  </searchComponent>
>>>

>>> --> SCHWERWIEGEND: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading
>>> class
>>> 'org.ap
>>> ache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'
>>>

>>> why is it so ??????  i think no one has so many trouble to run a patch
>>> like
>>> me =( :D

>>> --

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: SOLR-1316 How To Implement this autosuggest component ???

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.
okay,

Posted by Alexey Serba <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by stocki <st...@shopgate.com>.
thx, but i had already implement this way, but w are not so happy with the
solutions that this way returns =(

is there any possibility to group suggests ?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.