Posted to dev@chukwa.apache.org by Eric Yang <ey...@apache.org> on 2013/11/28 20:15:28 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Chukwa 0.6 + Hadoop integration

Hi all,

I like to collect thoughts on plan for branching for Chukwa 0.6 release.
 We have four options:

1. Chukwa 0.6 target for Hadoop 1.x branch.
2. Chukwa 0.6 target for Hadoop 2.x branch.
3. Chukwa 0.6 target to work with either Hadoop 1.x or Hadoop 2.x with
maven profile switching.  Default to Hadoop 1.x branch.
4. Chukwa 0.6 target to work with either Hadoop 1.x or Hadoop 2.x with
maven profile switching.  Default to Hadoop 2.x branch.

Option 2 and 4 may put Chukwa on a longer development path to integrate
with YARN for map reduce job.

My personal preference is option 1 to keep everything simple to help
release often.

regards,
Eric

Re: [DISCUSSION] Chukwa 0.6 + Hadoop integration

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
HDFS API has changed a little, and it does not impact Chukwa integration.
 For mapreduce, there are some changes which requires demux job to be
written differently.  This is mainly more code to be written to schedule
map reduce job in YARN framework.  The instrumentation of collecting data
from YARN, will need designs to collect useful data in context of
monitoring YARN.  I agree that 1.x branch seems like a better target for
Chukwa 0.6.

regards,
Eric

Posted by Ariel Rabkin <as...@gmail.com>.