Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pralabh Dayal <pd...@genuity.com> on 2001/04/12 20:31:15 UTC

binary needed for mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7

Hi All,

 I have Apache and Tomcat running on my Sun Solaris2.7 (SPARC) and am now
trying to configure apache to forward jsp requests to tomcat. Now when
apache tries to reload tomcat-apache.conf, it gives error loading
mod_jserv.so

I am unable to build the source for jserv coz my C compiler can not make
excutables. Hence i am restricted to binaries.

1. Can anyone suggest me a url to mod_jserv.so / mod_jk.so for SPARC 2.7 ? I
was able to get hold of binaries for apache and tomcat but can not find any
binaries for jserv.

2. Is there any other work-around for apache-tomcat integration?

thanks in advance,

- Pralabh Dayal
Software Consultant
Genuity Inc.
150 Cambridge Park Drive,
Cambridge, MA - 02140
# 617-873-6599 (W)
# 617-306-6752 (M)

Re: binary needed for mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 08:52 PM 4/12/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Pralabh Dayal wrote:
>
>I'm sorry that I'm unable to help you, but...
>
> > I am unable to build the source for jserv coz my C compiler can not make
> > excutables. Hence i am restricted to binaries.
>
>Oh, that's sort of funny. What good is a C compiler, if it's unable to
>create binaries?

I *think* he's talking about the thing that comes with
an option-less sparc work station. All its good for is
installing things. You can't do any real development
with it unless you shell out the bux for their sparcworks
crap. As I say in my previous message you don't need it,
you can get the pre-compiled GNU compiler.

Re: binary needed for mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7

Posted by "Ansgar W. Konermann" <an...@inf.tu-dresden.de>.
Pralabh Dayal wrote:

I'm sorry that I'm unable to help you, but...

> I am unable to build the source for jserv coz my C compiler can not make
> excutables. Hence i am restricted to binaries.

Oh, that's sort of funny. What good is a C compiler, if it's unable to
create binaries?

(just curious)

--
Best regards,

Ansgar W. Konermann
eMail: ak26@inf.tu-dresden.de

--- Hello, I am a message footer. -------------------------------------

RE: binary needed for mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 03:20 PM 4/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>thank for the reply tim.
>
>1. I do have have gcc but when i try to run the configure file for jserv, i
>get the following log:
>
># ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
>Configuring ApacheJServ/1.1.2
>checking for a BSD compatible install... src/scripts/build/unix/install-sh
>-c
>checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... ./configure: make: not found
>no
>checking for working aclocal... missing
>checking for working autoconf... missing
>checking for working automake... missing
>checking for working autoheader... missing
>checking for working makeinfo... missing
>checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
>checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
>checking for ranlib... :
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
>create executables.

You didn't install the full gcc dev suite; you didn't install
aclocal, autoconf, automake, makeinfo, etc. You're also probably
using sun's make instead of gmake, and I suspect your linker is
busted, ld_lib_path not set, etc.

>2. gcc is very much in my path and "gcc -v" returns the following:
>Reading specs from
>/usr/local/unsupported/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2/2.95.2/specs
>gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
>
>Can there be some installtion problems with the gcc compiler. I had
>downloaded a binary from the gnu site.
>I am not a C guy and dunno how to debug C compiler issues.

You don't have to be. Install your dev tools from www.sunfreeware.com
and you won't have these problems.

>3. Further as i belive from the documentation, i'll need perl on the machine
>for running "apxs". Gosh! Cant i just get a binary for mod_jserv.so for my
>solaris.
>It is available for Intel and Win32 platforms on the apache site. Is there
>any URL for the Solaris 2.7  one????

You're better served by being able to build these things your self
unless you can find some one who is willing to build these things
for you. The problem is there are a lot of platforms, not everyone
needs every stinking tool for every cruddy little platform.

Re: binary needed for mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7

Posted by Scott Tatum <sc...@wcom.com>.
I don't know if you want to try this, but I would recommend getting the latest
gcc package from www.sunfreeware.com for your architecture. This is where I
always get my Solaris packages and I've never had a problem.

-Scott

--
Scott Tatum | scott.tatum@wcom.com
Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.